X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Thanksgiving Movie Roundup

My nephew is a Professional free lance movie reviwer. He has reached a certain status that now studios send him new films to review and they quote him if they wish in promoting the film. He and his family
    Stayed with us for a week for the recent Holiday and he brought several of these with him, so I feel vey current (for once) on the movie scene. Here are some mini reviews.
    Jackie--this was a disappointment as we all thought that this biography would portray Mrs. Kennedy in her later life with Onassis. Instead the movies is about one week in her life, from the assasination of JFK until his funeral. The mood is unrelieved gloom. Natalie Portman is in every second of the film and is superb. Compelling but depressing.
    Hell or High Water--this was my favorite, a modern American Western. It's like No Country For Old Men without the pretentiousness. There is plenty of dark humor along with a lot of insight as tothe conditions that could lead to a Brexit or a Trump election.
    Anthropoid--a real thriller about the assasination of Reinhard Heydrich. This doesn't waste time providing historical backdrop but starts in media res. I thought that the depiction of occupied Prague was quite realistic.
    I forgot the name of the last film, but it is an adaptation of Jane Austen's Lady Susan, made by Amazon Studios. Great acting, but there is a lot of confusion akeeping the characters straight. I am rereading the novella now
Working...
X