• Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

7.00 pm today, Sunday 2 October

Only just spotted this, on BBC4 in a few minutes

In Their Own Words: 20th Century Composers
    1/2 Radical Movements (1912-1941)

A selection of classical music from the BBC archives, featuring rare footage of leading composers from the 1900s, in and out of the performance arena. Narrated by Rebecca Front.

This would appear to be from a two part series that's been broadcast before, which I missed, and possibly others did.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I'm taking it, then, that everyone who might have had an interest in what turned out to be an interesting programme, with a lot of footage I hadn't previously seen (Stravinsky demonstrating the "Sacre" chord at the piano, Messiaen describing the circumstances surrounding the "Quartet for the End of Time", Copland reclining on a chaise longue among them), must have seen it first time around.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

I have just watched this,what a fascinating programme.
      I certainly don't remember seeing it before although the DSCH footage was familiar,it was in the Leningrad documentary IIRC.
      Some bits and bobs have been in other programmes too.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

For those who missed it first time around (like me), I just thought I'd bump up notice of the repeat second programme of this Sophie Deveson-directed and produced two-parter, starting at 7 pm tonight (Sunday 9th Oct):

But is it Music? (1945-1989)
        A look at how the difficulty of writing music in a postwar world was tackled in very different ways by the likes of Britten, Bernstein, Cage, Boulez, Stockhausen, Taverner and Reich

Re-repeated Tues 11th at 1 am, for all you night owls.

Comment

Working...
        X