• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Ken Russell documentaries remastered

The Ides of March indicate the release of two Ken Russell documentary sets later this month, each item remastered to HD, Set I, The Collection and II, Composers. The latter includes the Elgar 'Monitor series' which should look ravishing in a remastered monochrome print; Song of Summer- young Eric Fenby's learning curve with Delius; a Debussy documentary - an instant career booster for Oliver Reed, plus Elgar & The Three Choirs Festival

Set 1, The Collection is also inviting; a documentary, Henri Rousseau; The Biggest Dancer in the World, Isadora Duncan; Dante's Inferno and Always on Sunday.

Alas, I looked in vain for Russell's, South Bank Show documentary, RVW, A Symphonic Portrait, (55mins) in which KR also shared the screen with Ursula VW, examining the scenario behind the 9 Symphonies. It is some time since I transferred my 1994 off-air video to DVD but I remember how well it complemented Tony Palmer's later documentary, O Thou Transcendent. Ursula could be quite curt with KR. Both watched a screening of Scott of the Antartic (1948) - KR clearly disliked the film and delved into a packet of popcorn as Ursula elegantly enjoyed a ciggie! KR interrupted to comment that the sound effects of penguins and nature were sabotaging the 'beautiful score'. Ursula retorted, "He wanted overall to create the cold and desolation, the personality of the Antartic..."

Several sequences showed Vernon Handley conducting the LPO, a reminder that I must add his complete recordings to my collection. One puzzlement. A seaside sequence has Peter Savidge singing at the shore, the Menelaus Song, but I cannot trace its source and I've delved into the EMI Collector's Edition. Can anyone help? Indeed, from 'Behold the Sea', KR used the elements and locations, Stonehenge, Gloucester Cathedral and precincts, and a long stretch of a narrow coastal road most effectively to indicate, say, The Pilgrim's Progress.

Must add the perennial pleasure of the 2CD Music & Arts, Treasury of Music from Britain/Sir John Barbirolli, incl RVW Sym 6!
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    One puzzlement. A seaside sequence has Peter Savidge singing at the shore, the Menelaus Song, but I cannot trace its source and I've delved into the EMI Collector's Edition. Can anyone help?
    It's one of RVW's "Four Last Songs", see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_L...an_Williams%29

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Many thanks, makropulos, for such a fascinating contact lead. I had no idea that Ursula's inspiration was rooted in TE Lawrence's translation of Homer's Odyssey. Peter Savidge stirred my interest as I could sense the context of a wider gravitas in his singing. Another learning curve. Thank you.

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

Very pleased that these are now available in the UK: for al on time, they were only available as an import from the US.

Ken Russell's BBC films are the best things he ever did (along with Women In Love) and, I daresay, are what he'd have most liked to have been remembered for.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Confirmation that the Ken Russell DVD discs will be released on 28 March (Easter Monday) with delivery a couple of days later. A cautionary word to interested purchasers. The quote for each DVD, two separate discs, is £21 99 but a pre-order is £17 99 per disc. A possible price hike by the river people after release? Merely a hunch.

Comment

Working...
          X