The Renaissance Unchained, BBC 4, 9pm, 15 Feb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DublinJimbo
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
    Completely agree with this.

The beaver was scuttling about even more than usual during last night's visit to Venice, with low camera angles of his loping tread though the passageways and across the bridges of that labarinthine cityscape. He managed to scuttle between the five plague churches in a twitch of his snout.
    What a glorious breath of fresh air this series is turning out to be. Bravo!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
      What a glorious breath of fresh air this series is turning out to be. Bravo!

And who would have thought there was any eroticism in Viennese art of the Renaissance before watching that?

Comment

• Keraulophone
        • Nov 2010

Viennese?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
          Viennese?
          Venetian - apologies!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

In Giorgione's Tempest he explained the lightning, but what about the bird on the roof? Having mentioned, it he did not elucidate further.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

He managed to scuttle between the five plague churches in a twitch of his snout.
              I'm enjoying WJ's insights and verbal presentation very much. But I'm not a great admirer of the scuttling; nor indeed of the panting up and down steps which seems somehow unnecessary given that the Works of Art have stayed put for centuries and are unlikely to disappear if he doesn't get there in time.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

I suppose you could see his splay-footed linking waddles as something like the promenades in Pictures at an Exhibition.

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  In Giorgione's Tempest he explained the lightning, but what about the bird on the roof? Having mentioned, it he did not elucidate further.
                  He said it was the stork which delivered the baby.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Rather obvious, I suppose.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      I suppose you could see his splay-footed linking waddles as something like the promenades in Pictures at an Exhibition.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                        He said it was the stork which delivered the baby.
                        Yes the outline is about right for stork, plus the rooftop placing, tho' it would have helped with interpretation if Giorgione had put a dab of black on it. Still, realistic bird painting lay some time in the future

Comment

• Anna

If I had such a flat footed waddle I don't think I'd want it recorded on camera but I'm enjoying this series so much I wish every episode was two hours long, it's absolutely fascinating, I want more of WJ.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

The production company, ZCZ Films, has a fb page where links can be found, e.g. to these five minutes on what the Beaver considers the greatest painting of the 15th century, Rogier van der Weyden's The Descent from the Cross:

(Reference to "Bridge of the Tits" never appeared in Kenneth Clarke's Civilisation, did it?)
                            Last edited by Keraulophone; 02-03-16, 10:54.

Comment

• Anna

On the subject of Giorgione but unfortunately only of interest to those who live in or who can get to London easily, just been reading the preview of exhibition at the Royal Academy entitled In the Age of Giorgione which has attracted some amazing loans including more than a third of the 40 odd paintings that are (often controversially) attributed to Giorgione. According to the preview "the experimental exhibition offers a hall of mirrors. It seeks fleeting reflections of an all-but phantasmagoric master in the works of the many followers who were influenced by him. Among these are not only some of the greatest names - Titian, Lorenzo Lotto and Sebastiano del Piombo - but also little -known figures such as Giovanni Cariani, who will prove an exciting new discovery for many." (March 12-June 5)

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Garden of Earthly Delights tonight!

Comment

Working...
                                X