• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Noam Chomsky - Understanding Power (2013)

An excellent read, such a brilliant mind.

An excellent book!

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

Beard's Roman Women by Anthony Burgess, in the superb new Irwell edition of his complete works, which is four volumes in, lots of extras tacked on and a new introduction.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

'Headlong' by Michael Frayn. Who else could write a thriller-cum-farce centred on an in-depth examination of the history of Dutch painting?

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

'Pulse' Felix Francis - I love this horse racing thriller which has a strong medical element.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            'Headlong' by Michael Frayn. Who else could write a thriller-cum-farce centred on an in-depth examination of the history of Dutch painting?
            And if you haven't read it, "Spies" (set in the suburbs in World War 2), and his recent "Skios". Great writer. But yes, Headlong a masterpiece.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              And if you haven't read it, "Spies" (set in the suburbs in World War 2), and his recent "Skios". Great writer. But yes, Headlong a masterpiece.
              I've read 'Skios' but will have to add 'Spies' to my ever-increasing list of books to read!

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

B. S. Johnson - The Unfortunates.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                  B. S. Johnson - The Unfortunates.
                  ... how are you reading it? Laying out all the pages on the floor - throwing them up in the air and taking them as they fall - reading them in the order you find them in the box?

Comment

• muzzer
                    • Nov 2013

Check out the latest episode at Backlisted.fm, this is discussed in detail.....

Comment

• Rjw
                      • Oct 2012

I really liked Spies, but Skios was just silly nonsense¡ in my opinion of course.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Rjw View Post
                        I really liked Spies, but Skios was just silly nonsense¡ in my opinion of course.
                        As silly as 'Noises Off'?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

I have developed a really bad habit of having 4 or 5 books on the go at a time. It's also an expensive habit.

In addition to the previously mentioned Noam Chomsky (which is actually a re-read), I'm also reading:

Renni Eddo-Lodge "Why I'm No Longer Talking To White People About Race" (Not yet living up to its captivating title, but I'm less than a quarter in)

Russell Brand - "Revolution" (ok, he's a bit of a dick, but I find him entertaining)

James O'Brien's "How To Be Right ... In A World That's Gone Wrong" (ok, he's a bit of a dick, but I find him entertaining)

Craig Oliver - "Unleashing The Demons" (interesting Pro-remain take on 2016)

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                            • Aug 2014

Riders in the Chariot by Patrick White. He seems to be almost unread now but I believe him to be the greatest writer of the twentieth century.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Goethe's Letters from Italy. All right, in the small Penguin 60s Classics edition, of which I have several to slip into my back bocket when I'm likely to have to wait with nothing special to do for 15 minutes or so. His description of seeing Venice for the first time is endearing and enlghtening
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                I have developed a really bad habit of having 4 or 5 books on the go at a time. It's also an expensive habit.

In addition to the previously mentioned Noam Chomsky (which is actually a re-read), I'm also reading:
                                I thought you might have been reading this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntactic_Structures

Comment

Working...
                                X