Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    Just finished re-reading : christ recrucified by nikos kazantzakis, and Zorba the Greek [by the same author]....two of my favourite books, they always hit the spot....full of vitality....a great writer in my opinion....
    Another book highly rated by Sir Colin Davis

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Just finished William Dalyrymples : Return of a King, about the disasterous first Afghan War....what a arrogant nation we were/are .... the egos and machiavellian thrusting of the British elite in 1840's
      bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        Just finished William Dalyrymples : Return of a King, about the disasterous first Afghan War....what a arrogant nation we were/are .... the egos and machiavellian thrusting of the British elite in 1840's
        I agree eighth0 - should be required reading for all politicians with interventionist ambitions

Comment

• Beef Oven

The Downing Street Years - first volume of her memoires. Fascinating read (re-read in my case). I'm a bit of a glutton for politician's memoires.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
            The Downing Street Years - first volume of her memoires. Fascinating read (re-read in my case). I'm a bit of a glutton for politician's memoires.

That LOOK INSIDE featurette doesn't work - obviously not very revealing memoirs

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              I've not read Closely Observed Trains but I love the film, currently available for very little money

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Closely-Obse.../dp/B0001DI4YU
              It's very short, and I was reminded of the comic description (strange thing, humour ) of Miloš's grandfather, the professional hypnotist, standing in front of the advancing convoy of German tanks as it rolls into the village and 'spraying with his eyes' the thought, 'Turn round and go back'.

The film doesn't sound quite the same as the book.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I turn instead to 'Closely Observed Trains' by Bohumil Hrabal, which in comparison is a picnic.
                ... coïncidentally, have been re-reading that excellent study of alienation - Simenon's "L'Homme qui regardait passer les trains" !

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... coïncidentally, have been re-reading that excellent sudy of alienation - Simenon's "L'Homme qui regardait passer les trains" !
                  One of the few Simenon novels I have read, en anglais, helas.
                  It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• anotherbob
                    • Sep 2011

To War With Whitaker.
                    The Wartime Diaries of the Countess of Ranfurley 1939-45.

A window into another world and an insight into why Labour won the post war election.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                      • Mar 2013

Has anyone here read this?

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                        Has anyone here read this?

Not yet, but I have handled it 'live' and it weighs a fair bit

Tempted but like you Throppers I'd like to hear from someone who's read it

Comment

• amateur51

For book-loving Londoners and book-lovers within travelling distance... The Second Annual Charing Cross Road Festival 22-23 June 2013

Situs Game Online Terbaik yang Memudahkan Kemenangan dan Jackpot Terbesar

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Not yet, but I have handled it 'live' and it weighs a fair bit

Tempted but like you Throppers I'd like to hear from someone who's read it
                            Currently wending my leisurely way through the final volume of Henri-Louis de la Grange's Mahler biography with Mitchell still to go! Weighty tomes all. Couldn't manage another one just now.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Currently wending my leisurely way through the final volume of Henri-Louis de la Grange's Mahler biography with Mitchell still to go! Weighty tomes all. Couldn't manage another one just now.
                              That strikes me as a huge effort, Pet both in terms of volume of reading and cost - well done!

Has it been worthwhile?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just finished Vol 3 of Alan Walker's magnificent biography of Liszt. The fourth biography of him I've read - a composer who has always fascinated and puzzled me, both as man and musician.

I read Ernest Newman's disgraceful and wholly misleading character assassination "The Man Liszt" many years ago, and more recently inherited an old copy of Sacheverell Sitwell's affectionate but similarly inaccurate one. Earlier this year I read Eleanor Perenyi's, picked up in a second hand bookshop, again loads of inaccuracies, no good on the music, and it stops dead at the end of the Weimar years in 1861, with a large chunk of Liszt's life and work still to come. I'm grateful to ostuni, up-thread, for alerting me to the Walker which somehow I'd missed. At last Liszt leaps into focus, over three fine volumes, the seeming mysteries and inconsistencies in his life making sense at last. The scholarship is immense, many topics which would slow down the narrative are continued in absorbing footnotes. A central, pivotal figure in 19th century musical history - the importance of his relationships with Berlioz and Wagner cannot be exaggerated.

Comment

Working...
                                X