X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Was baffled by "A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters" - a novel - why? Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, at least twice, but couldn't understand what the chapters had to do with eachother. If anyone could explain I'd be grateful.
    I don't know whether any of the following might help -

Candel Bormann, Daniel. “The End of Society in Historiographic Metafiction: A Case Study”. Actas del XXIII Congreso de AEDEAN (16-18 december 1999, León) 2003.
    Candel Bormann, Daniel. “Julian Barnes’s A History of Science in 10½ Chapters.” English Studies: A Journal of English Language and Literature 82(3) (2001): 253-61
    Buxton, Jackie. "Julian Barnes's Theses on History (in 10½ Chapters)." Contemporary Literature 41(1) (Spring 2000): 56-86.
    Goer, Charis and Christoph Henke. "'How do you turn catastrophe into art?' Oder: Der Stoff, aus dem die Katastrophen sind. Ein Zwiegespräch zum 'Floß der Medusa' in Julian Barnes' A History of the World in 10½ Chapters." Verstärker 4, no. 4 (4 November 1999): http://www.culture.hu-berlin.de/vers...oer_henke.html
    Finney, Brian. "Fictionalizing the Factual: Julian Barnes' A History of the World in 10½ Chapters." Brian Finney Website (21 March 1999) http://www.csulb.edu/~bhfinney/oldsite/barnes.html
    Candel Bormann, Daniel. “Nature Feminised in Julian Barnes’s A History of the World in 10½ Chapters.” Atlantis: Revista de la Asociación Española de Estudios Anglo-Norteamericanos XXI.1/2 (Junio-Diciembre 1999): 43-58.
    Candel Bormann, Daniel. “From Romanticism to Postmodernity: Two Different Conceptions of Nature in Julian Barnes’ A History of the World in 10½ Chapters”. Revista Canaria de Estudios Ingleses 36 (1998): 173-83.
    Kotte, Claudia. "Random Patterns? Orderly Disorder in Julian Barnes's A History of the World in 10 and ½ Chapters." AAA -- Arbeiten aus Anglistik und Amerikanistik. 22 (1997): 107-128.
    Raykowski, Harald. "Gegenwartsromane im Englischunterricht? Julian Barnes und der neue historische Roman." Neusprachliche Mitteilungen aus Wissenschaft und Praxis 50(2) (1997): 93-97.
    Guignery, Vanessa. "Palimpseste et pastiche generique chez Julian Barnes." Etudes Anglaises 50(1) (January-March 1997): 40-52.
    French, Jana L. Fantastic Histories: A Dialogic Approach to a Narrative Hybrid. Dissertation. University of Wisconsin, Madison. 1996.
    Samb, Bathie. "Histoire, fiction et remaniement de soi dans A History of the World in 10½ Chapters de Julian Barnes." Bridges: An African Journal of English Studies Vol. 7 (March 1996): 107-127.
    Halim, Nadia Maria. "An Ark on Which Two Might Escape": Modernist and Postmodernist Discourse Julian Barnes's A History of the World in 10½ Chapters. Queen's University At Kingston (Canada), 1994. pp.78 (Dissertation. Adviser: Patricia Rae)
    Hallet, Wolfgang. "A History of the World in 10½ Chapters. Ein Hinweis auf Julian Barnes' postmoderne Weltgeschichte." Anglistik and Englischunterricht 49 (1993): 137-148.
    Kelly, Lionel. "The Ocean, The Harbour, The City: Julian Barnes' A History of the World in 10½ Chapters. Etudes Britanniques Contemporaines no.2 (1993).
    Little, Roger. "A Simple Story: 'Sur la mer des Caraibes'." Revue de Litterature Comparee 66(4) (October-December 1992): 439-44.
    Salyer, Gregory. "One Good Story Leads to Another: Julian Barnes's A History of the World in 10½ Chapters." Journal of Literature & Theology 5(2) (June 1991): 220-233.
    Raucq Hoorickx, Isabelle. "Julian Barnes' History of the World in 10½ Chapters: A Levinasian Deconstructionist Point of View." Le Langage et l'Homme: Recherches Pluridisciplinaires sur le Langage 26(1) (March 1991): 47-54.
    Last edited by vinteuil; 21-08-11, 21:57.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

Thanks, Vinteuil - that little lot will keep us busy for a while!

Comment

• Colonel Danby
        • Nov 2010

Reading (at the same time):

Stephen Fry: Making History

Minette Walters: Disorded Minds

two brilliant writers at the top of their form...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          Erm, thanks Vinteuil!

Comment

• FFAdminMKS
            Administrator
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            Or this

[Oops. Signed ff
            Last edited by FFAdminMKS; 21-08-11, 21:57.
            --
            Administrators

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

thanks, FF!

... actually the Brian Finney article looks quite promising -

Comment

• Thespian

Reading Agatha Christie's N or M?

and just picked up "The Ninth" by Harvey Sachs in a charity shop, all about Beethoven's ninth symphony and it's background.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

... i have started rereading all of Alan Furst's spy novels having just read the new 'Spies of the Balkans' ...any Furst fans here?
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Sparafucile

Afternoon,
                    I've just begun Book 2, The Clash of Kings, in George R.R. Martin's medieval fantasy saga, A Song of Ice and Fire, the first being Game of Thrones. Wonderfully rich and complex story-telling!

As 'light relief' from saga-ing, I'm reading the odd short story by J.G. Ballard (read 'Chronopolis' the other evening, very thought-provoking, and great fun!), and Katherine Mansfield (re-read 'Bliss' last weekend, for the umpteenth time; it still intoxicates with its language and evocation of mood).

At some point I intend to read Peter Hoeg's Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow. Bought it last week, and trying to find the time!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                      Following The Hare with Amber Eyes with Bruce Chatwin's UTZ.
                      I've just bought The Hare With Amber Eyes for my nephew for his birthday. Not sure whether to read it first and bend the covers and make them messy or to get a copy of my own.

The second book I bought for said nevitt is Primo Levi's The Periodic Table - which I have seven days to read before handing it over.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Primo Levi's The Periodic Table - .
                        ... if you like that, you might like to try Oliver Sacks Uncle Tungsten ...

Comment

• Don Basilio
                          • Nov 2010

The Mabinogian, look you.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                            • Jul 2011

Lesley Glaister - Chosen.

A book about cults. I'm finding it a disturbing read, less because of the subject matter than because the main character is so spineless you want to shake her and make her see sense. I'm not getting as much out of this as some of Glaister's other books, but it shares similar themes - dysfunctional families, the abuse of power, the dangers of other people. She would write an excellent book about an internet forum, I'm sure!

Comment

• Anna

I bought yesterday (charity shop) a book I expect everyone has read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. I started reading it last night - what a lovely book! Really enjoying it and must remember not to use the Oxford comma!

As all the books in the shop were £1.00 and assuming it'll be a long, hard Winter and possibly being snowed in again I also stocked up and bought:

John Simpson - A Mad World, My Masters
                              John Humphrys - Devil's Advocate
                              Frank McCourt - 'Tis
                              Jeanette Winterson - Gut Symmetries
                              Khaled Hossini - The Kite Runner
                              Lewis Carroll - Through the Looking Glass
                              Charles Dickens - Great Expectations (haven't read that since a child)
                              Vita Sackville-West - Perpita
                              Edgar Allan Poe - Selected Tales

Possibly an odd mix but at such a cheap price no regrets if they are not finished and then returned for resale.

Comment

• amateur51

That was an excellent tenner's worth Anna

I gave copies ofEats, Shoots, and Leaves as Christmas presents the year it came out & many's the row it started over various dinner tables for the rest of the year.

Several people have not invited me since

Comment

Working...
                                X