• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

'Operation Pax' / Michael Innes

Comment

• JasonPalmer
      • Dec 2022

Pies and prejudice in search of the north by stuart maconie
      Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

One of my sons bought me 'Pies amd Prejudice': a delightful and insightful read.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
          • Dec 2022

Smittims, as some who left huddersfield for the south as a newly minted graduate i find it interesting to read about these places i have no desire to visit, give me kent and central London any day.
          Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
            Smittims, as some who left huddersfield for the south as a newly minted graduate i find it interesting to read about these places i have no desire to visit, give me kent and central London any day.
            Your loss, there, Jason!

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Kate Atkinson: A god in ruins
              From our local book exchange.

Seems vaguely familiar, but I don't think I've read it before.
              Mind you, even if I have it'll be like an Agatha Christie re-read: I can hardly ever remember whodunnit!

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Kate Atkinson: A god in ruins
                From our local book exchange.

Seems vaguely familiar, but I don't think I've read it before.
                Mind you, even if I have it'll be like an Agatha Christie re-read: I can hardly ever remember whodunnit!
                I read most Agatha Christie in my teens 50-55 years ago and can still remember whodunnit!
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  I read most Agatha Christie in my teens 50-55 years ago and can still remember whodunnit!
                  I would hate to give the impression that I bother re-reading Agatha Christie.

I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse to be able to read (admittedly I'm a bit of a skim reader) and have little recollection afterwards.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    I would hate to give the impression that I bother re-reading Agatha Christie.

I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse to be able to read (admittedly I'm a bit of a skim reader) and have little recollection afterwards.
                    Nothing wrong in reading, or even re-reading, Agatha Christie. I remember when I was about 14, off sick from school one day, reading one AC in the morning and another in the afternoon! It was reading Agatha in my teens that led me on to reading some of the great detective stories such as Trent's Last Case, The Nine Tailors and A Question of Proof.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• muzzer
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                      ....very good Kurt Vonnegut definitive documentary ....Kurt Vonnegut : Unstuck in Time....it was on Sky thurs 27.4.23....ver very good
                      I really enjoyed this and have just bought Bluebeard as a result, only having read Slaughterhouse 5.

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

I'm afraid the only Agatha Christie I enjoy is 'The Mysterious affair at Styles', her first, which apparently she wrote as a bet. Even the second, 'the Murder on the Links' lacks its freshness and originality , and several of her later plots are borrowed from other authors, e.g. Conan Doyle.

I regard her as a skiful and accompished writer, though. It was a clever idea to replace Poirot with Miss Marple, a character designed to emulate most of her readers view of themselves, and the prototype for 'Vera', Hetty Wainthrop, and other middle-aged/elderly women detectives.

Comment

• Rjw
                          • Oct 2012

Just read A Spy among Friends by Ben Macintyre.

Enjoyed it.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Forty-odd years on from reading it last time round, pre-war short stories of John Steinbeck collected in 'The Long Valley'. Wonderful tales, as riveting now as they were all those years ago.

Comment

• Historian
                              • Aug 2012

Crossing to Safety, 1987, Wallace Stegner. He was wholly unknown to me before, a chance charity shop purchase. Two American couples meet in the early 1930s and become close friends, in different ways. This was his last novel, published when he was 78: it carries the four's story through until old age. I found it very moving.

So many authors I didn't even know existed. Still some time to read and learn.

Comment

• Jonathan
                                • Mar 2007

I finished the first in a series of murder mysteries set in Scotland yesterday, it's called "A litter of bones" by J D Kirk. It was well worth a read so I started book 2 today. I believe there are currently 16 in total and another one on the way.
                                Best regards,
                                Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                                X