Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • groovydavidii
    • Dec 2010

Past fortnight following, Radio 4’s riveting “Mississippi Breaking,” a recount of black student Meridith harrowing attempts to enrol into Mississippi University 60 years ago, prompted re-reading “How to Argue With a Racist” by geneticist Adam Rutherford, (2020, W&N, jacket blurb, Bill Bryson, Julia Neuberger, etc.) calm, cogent analysis/message most reassuring.

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
      I must read The Goldfinch - I greatly enjoyed The Secret History. I'm fascinated by how anyone - even a stoned character in fiction! - could find The Grapes of Wrath boring. It's one of the most compelling books I've ever read.
      Poor Theo! In his 'stoned' period he has other big problems. He needs comforting and . . .'I got my iPod, and tried to find some loud-ish music that wasn't upsetting(Shostakovich's Fourth, which though classical actually was a bit upsetting) and lay on my bed with the earbuds in, while Popper stood with his ears up and stared at the closed door, the hairs on his neck erect and bristling.'

Theo has got his Shostakovich right for the occasion, if not his Steinbeck.

Comment

• Jonathan
        • Mar 2007

A book I got ages ago by Kate Ellis, it's called "The Devil's Priest".
        Best regards,
        Jonathan

Comment

• Historian
          • Aug 2012

Just finished 'Anglo-Saxon Attitudes', Angus Wilson (1956). I thought it was marvellous but, considering the central character is a medieval historian, I was probably pre-disposed to enjoy this work. Read 'Hemlock and After' (his first novel, 1953) a few months ago and enjoyed that, so will keep an eye out for his others as I had never read anything of his previously.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            Just finished 'Anglo-Saxon Attitudes', Angus Wilson (1956). I thought it was marvellous but, considering the central character is a medieval historian, I was probably pre-disposed to enjoy this work.
            But if a stranger in the train asks me my occupation I never answer "writer" for fear he may go on to ask me what I write, and to answer "poetry" would embarrass us both, for we both know that no one can earn a living simply by writing poetry. (The most satisfactory answer I have discovered, satisfactory because it withers curiosity, is to say Medieval Historian.) WH Auden

I can't say my experience is that it withers curiosity, but it does tend to reduce people to silence as they can think of no follow-up question.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Historian
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              But if a stranger in the train asks me my occupation I never answer "writer" for fear he may go on to ask me what I write, and to answer "poetry" would embarrass us both, for we both know that no one can earn a living simply by writing poetry. (The most satisfactory answer I have discovered, satisfactory because it withers curiosity, is to say Medieval Historian.) WH Auden

I can't say my experience is that it withers curiosity, but it does tend to reduce people to silence as they can think of no follow-up question.
              Didn't know that quote ff, however I can see that it would work.

In this case it was the way Wilson delineated the characters varying historians, rather than the fact of them being explicitly medievalists. Probably any other type of historian would have worked as well for me. I did study medieval history at university, but I wouldn't consider myself a medievalist now.

Comment

• Tevot
                • Nov 2010

The Dead ( James Joyce) Fond recollections of John Huston's adaptation (a cherished project and his final film)

"A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

That's a marvellous story ( I admired the film too). An old friend of mine argued that Joyce went downhill after 'Dubliners'! I'd say after 'Stephen Hero' , which I think would also make a marvellous film.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

Re calling oneself a 'writer' reminds me of when I used to compose and I'd answer 'I'm a composer'. I had to stop because they always said 'what instrument do you play?' which made me want to yell 'why the hell should I play an instrument?'

Another time someone said as an ice-breaker 'I understand you're a musician.' When I said 'No, I'm not a musician , I'm a composer' they thought that very funny. Now if someone said 'I'm not a musician , I'm a conductor' one could understand...

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

A musician friend of mine will sometimes travel with organised groups for various reasons - convenience, etc. He tells people he's a secondhand car salesman and finds that makes life very tolerable. (I think he's yet to meet anyone in a group who is also a car salesman - or at least would let that be known).

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I used to say I was 'a teacher' since being more precise was liable to bring opprobrium down upon my head, especially from the BBC vis-à-vis FoR3. I see the quote is still online but please don't link to it - the uncontrolled fury is still palpable . Trump could have learnt a thing or two about 'fake news' from the Beeb.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I always write, "Author", when having to fill in my last occupation. Only one published book to my name, but still "author".

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

That's OK; only on Friday I referred in a letter to someone as 'the author of the letter'.

Now if you described yourself as an auteur... well...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                              That's OK; only on Friday I referred in a letter to someone as 'the author of the letter'.

Now if you described yourself as an auteur... well...

Comment

• silvestrione
                                • Jan 2011

This author, pianist, and retired (English) teacher has just finished Our Mutual Friend, and found it a much, much better novel than he first thought!

Comment

Working...
                                X