• Feb 2013

My Own Words Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
      My Own Words Ruth Bader Ginsburg
      I'm not likely to find time to read it, Padraig, but do pass on your impressions.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I'm not likely to find time to read it, Padraig, but do pass on your impressions.
        f f, I'm a latecomer to this remarkable woman. I knew who she was and her position on the Supreme Court of the USA, and I shared the outrage over the appointment of her successor. The book is a collection of her essays, speeches and judicial writings covering her career and experiences on the bench. I found it in a newly opened bookshop and bought it on sight.

So far I'm getting a picture of a really lovely woman who has set standards of achievement for herself and women, and who fully used her increasing influence to further those standards even to the extent of getting Congress to change the law. She writes with clarity and with a quiet (sly?)sense of humour at times, and shows great devotion to her family, friends, colleagues and legal antecedents. She is also a musician - sings, plays piano and loves Opera a passion she shares with another Justice who has become a friend and co-star in an Opera written for them.

I've just got through the 'easy' part of the book, and I can see that there are lots of cases and dissents coming up which I'm looking forward to learning about. Her style is encouraging, and I'm confident that I'll get to know a bit about American Law and more about Ruth Ginsburg.

I'll keep you posted?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

fI'll keep you posted?
          Do, please, though you make me sense how much the world is missing her
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

Didn’t she attend Nabokov’s lectures at Cornell? May be completely wrong.

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
              Absolutely right. RBG cites Nabokov as a huge influence on the way she read and wrote.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

As I am already reading Ruth Ginsburg's book, and it is the subject of discussion at present, it seems appropriate to post this here - especially as I can't find a thread for the Presidential Election. This is concerning Ruth Ginsburg's dissent on the judgement of the Supreme Court on the Bush v Gore Florida dispute in 2000. It's some read!

Democrat Al Gore and Republican George W. Bush faced off in the 2000 presidential election. A historically close race, the final Electoral College tally came down to a disputed vote total in Florid…

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

The Yale Editions of the Private Papers of James Boswell, Research Edition, Correspondence: Volume 2 "The Correspondence and Other Papers of James Boswell Relating to the Making of the Life of Johnson"

... on a bit of a Johnson and Boswell splurge at the moment.

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

1939, a book of social and economic history of the east anglian counties in that fateful year. The material poverty and insecurity of many perhaps most ordinary lives then, nevertheless fail to remove from me a strong sense that for all our progress, life is no better now.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I’m just dipping into a “ Blood and Iron”, a new history of the German Empire 1871-1918.
                      It is by an impressive debut author Katja Hoyer, for whom we have high hopes, and reaction in the trade has been very positive.
                      Great endorsements from Michael Portillo, Andrew Roberts and Roger Moorhouse, and it reads very well . Published mid January, perfect for those Xmas vouchers, and a snip at £14.99 RRP in hardback .
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

f f, I'm a latecomer to this remarkable woman. I knew who she was and her position on the Supreme Court of the USA, and I shared the outrage over the appointment of her successor. The book is a collection of her essays, speeches and judicial writings covering her career and experiences on the bench. I found it in a newly opened bookshop and bought it on sight.

So far I'm getting a picture of a really lovely woman who has set standards of achievement for herself and women, and who fully used her increasing influence to further those standards even to the extent of getting Congress to change the law. She writes with clarity and with a quiet (sly?)sense of humour at times, and shows great devotion to her family, friends, colleagues and legal antecedents. She is also a musician - sings, plays piano and loves Opera a passion she shares with another Justice who has become a friend and co-star in an Opera written for them.

I've just got through the 'easy' part of the book, and I can see that there are lots of cases and dissents coming up which I'm looking forward to learning about. Her style is encouraging, and I'm confident that I'll get to know a bit about American Law and more about Ruth Ginsburg.

I'll keep you posted?
                        RBG son is the CEO of Cedille Records, a not for profit Classical Music Label based here in Chicago. I have attended Concerts featuring their artists and chatted with him as her sells CDs at intermission

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Cornell is in Ithaca, upstate New York, several hours from NYC. If she attended his lectures then that was quite a commitment

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Dickens: Our mutual friend

It's ages since I last read this, and I'm delighted to be reacquainted with Mr Boffin's Bower, the Podsnappery, and a host of other wonderful creations and characters.

Comment

• muzzer
                              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              Cornell is in Ithaca, upstate New York, several hours from NYC. If she attended his lectures then that was quite a commitment
                              Yes I know where Cornell is.

Here’s a little known fact, of which Mary Karr recently reminded us: as an undergraduate, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died this weekend at the age of 87, was once one of Vladimir Nabokov’s…

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

I didn’t realize that she had done Undergraduate at Cornell. I had thought she went somewhere in NYC

Comment

Working...
                                X