X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Any mention of the Spanish Civil War?
    Addendum--I just checked Amazon under Overy and I realize that I read his previous book, the one that is precisely about the bombing campaign over Germany, 1940-45. Have you read his previous work, Perrushka? How much of the new book is recycled material?
    I've literally only just started reading this but imagine there must be mention of the Spanish Civil War given its vital importance to the subject. Having not read Overy before, I'm not able to say what might be recycled material but even in the first few pages you immediately get a sense of how wide-ranging this book is. It's a big read so likely to keep me occupied for some while. I picked my copy up from the excellent bookshop in the Imperial War Museum in London earlier this month buying Overy's 'Russia's War' at the same time.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Just finishing Citizen Clem by John Bew lots of interesting detail but a less human biography of Attlee than that by Kenneth Harris in the 1980s which I read as a student .

Will then start on The Uses of Literacy by Richard Hoggett a book I feel I should have read a long time ago .

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        ....interesting man and ideas....give us the lowdown on it please
        I'm only on page 56!

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I've literally only just started reading this but imagine there must be mention of the Spanish Civil War given its vital importance to the subject. Having not read Overy before, I'm not able to say what might be recycled material but even in the first few pages you immediately get a sense of how wide-ranging this book is. It's a big read so likely to keep me occupied for some while. I picked my copy up from the excellent bookshop in the Imperial War Museum in London earlier this month buying Overy's 'Russia's War' at the same time.
          I just pulled "The Bombers and The Bombed", his earlier tome off the shelf, and I remember being very disappointed with it. I thought that his treatment of the German experience was glib, and I couldn't disagree more with the argument he makes that the campaign was just needless violence and counterproductive to the war aims of the Allies

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

I can't find the posting that recommended J L Carr but many thanks to whoever did. A Month in the Country is a delight from beginning to end.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              Thanks for the recommendation. Any mention of the Spanish Civil War?
              Richard - we had an excellent holiday in NE Mallorca in 2015 (long a great place for birdwatching, I've been many times, now overrun with cyclists) and our hotel, the lovely Illa d'Or in Puerto Pollensa, is next door to an airfield used by the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War . The hotel also the setting for an early Agatha Christie short story, "Problem at Pollensa Bay"

I have a reasonable selection of SCW books but I'm sure you'll know them all. When I first went to Spain in 1972 Franco was still in charge tho he hadn't long to go

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Just about to start another reading of Gissing's New Grub Street, with the original Ed Reardon, scribbler.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Conchis
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Just about to start another reading of Gissing's New Grub Street, with the original Ed Reardon, scribbler.
                  One of my favourite novels. So glad I've got a Kindle on my iPad as so many out of print Gissing novels are freely downloadable now.

But I do love to collect the beautiful Harvester editions from the 70s.

Have you ever visited his birthplace museum in Wakefield?

Comment

• un barbu
                    • Jun 2017

'The Vanishing Man' by Laura Cumming, relating one man's obsession with a supposed Velazquez portrait in the 19th century along with essays on the life and art of Velazquez. Fascinating and instructive. I thoroughly enjoyed this.
                    Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                      Have you ever visited his birthplace museum in Wakefield?
                      No, I haven't. But a very interesting man, Gissing. I'm quite a fan ["Do you like Gissing?" "I don't know I've n……," - no never mind ]. I only have a motley collection of paperbacks - Everyman, Oxford, Penguin.

One work I really enjoy - travel writing particularly interests me for its digressions and serendipity - is By the Ionian Sea.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        Richard - we had an excellent holiday in NE Mallorca in 2015 (long a great place for birdwatching, I've been many times, now overrun with cyclists) and our hotel, the lovely Illa d'Or in Puerto Pollensa, is next door to an airfield used by the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War . The hotel also the setting for an early Agatha Christie short story, "Problem at Pollensa Bay"

I have a reasonable selection of SCW books but I'm sure you'll know them all. When I first went to Spain in 1972 Franco was still in charge tho he hadn't long to go
                        I didn't realize that the Condor Legion had used Mallorca as a base. One of my best friends is of mixed American/Castilian background and has vacationed on Mallorca the last few summers and I intend to get there one day.
                        Anthony Beavor's book about SCW is the best overall book that I've encountered. I recently finished a book called Spain In Our Hearts that focuses on Americans in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade by Adam Hochsfeld, although there is plenty on many Brits, particularly Orwell, that fought for the Republic. Orwell's own Homage to Catalonia, Hemingway's greatest novel For Whom The Bell Tolls, and the Time In Between novel by Maria Duarte that you had previously recommended constitute the sum of my readings on the conflict.

Comment

• Conchis
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          No, I haven't. But a very interesting man, Gissing. I'm quite a fan ["Do you like Gissing?" "I don't know I've n……," - no never mind ]. I only have a motley collection of paperbacks - Everyman, Oxford, Penguin.

One work I really enjoy - travel writing particularly interests me for its digressions and serendipity - is By the Ionian Sea.
                          It's apparently Britain's least visited museum:

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                            It's apparently Britain's least visited museum:

http://www.wakefieldhistoricalsoc.or...ng%20Trust.htm
                            Thanks for that link, Conch. Who knows, I may get there one day.

Comment

• Arnold Bax
                              • Sep 2017

I'm sorry to be a terrible bore, but I've just started re-reading JRR Tolkien's unbelievably wonderful 'The Lord of the Rings' for the thumpingly endless time. I know I should get out more, but I seem to have mislade my copy of 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin'. I suppose that my excuse is that I was at the same school as the Oxford don, but that is not good enough.

Comment

• ardcarp
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Not boring at all AB. It must be a fine work, as so many people are hooked on it. I'd be grateful (and I mean this, really) if you'd give me a few tips on how to approach it and enjoy it? I inevitably read The Hobbit to my kids eons ago, but despite several attempts at The Lord otR, I've never been able to suspend disbelief sufficiently to become immersed in Tolkiens ingenious but fantastical world. The book sits glaring down from a high and somewhat dusty shelf, taunting me to try again

Comment

Working...
                                X