Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smittims
    replied
    I think you're taking it a little too far. I do enjoy character development and atmospheer; I just don't like being preached to. I think this is why I prefer Turgenev to Tolstoy or Dostoievsky.

Leave a comment:

• french frank
    replied
    Originally posted by smittims View Post
    Well, yes, but is that a reduction? Isn't that what literature is? What about the Bible, the Iliad? aren't they story-telling? Granted that they're not just narrative. There's character and atmosphere.
    It's a reduction if that's all you're interested in (cf Ezra's mother), uninterested in character development or description. If all you want is a good yarn you're not interested in literature and there's plenty of stuff to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• vinteuil
    replied
    Georges Simenon, Maigret en meublé (Maigret rents a room)

We have been watching the marvellous series of Maigret starring Bruno Cremer on Talking Pictures TV over the last year. In total there are 54 episodes, and Maigret en meublé will be episode 51, to be shown next Tuesday. I have been reading / re-reading them all as the series unrolls ; I shall be very sad when we reach the end next month.

Leave a comment:

• Pulcinella
    replied
    Originally posted by Rolmill View Post

Yes, I expect you are aware that Donna Leon has been a great supporter of baroque opera (especially Handel) for many years, initially helping to support financially Il Complesso Barocco and then (after Alan Curtis' death) Il Pomo d'Oro - hence the dedication presumably. She also writes excellent crime novels!

With as much emphasis on food as on solving the crimes!

Leave a comment:

• Rolmill
    replied
    Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Having typed the name Emelyanychev as the conductor of a version of Theodora for consideration in a BaL next month earlier this morning, I now find that he's the dedicatee of Donna Leon's Unto us a son is given, which I've just picked up as some light half-term reading from our local book exchange.
    Serendipity or what?
    Yes, I expect you are aware that Donna Leon has been a great supporter of baroque opera (especially Handel) for many years, initially helping to support financially Il Complesso Barocco and then (after Alan Curtis' death) Il Pomo d'Oro - hence the dedication presumably. She also writes excellent crime novels!

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    Well, yes, but is that a reduction? Isn't that what literature is? What about the Bible, the Iliad? aren't they story-telling? Granted that they're not just narrative. There's character and atmosphere.

Leave a comment:

• french frank
    replied
    like Ezra Pound's mother when her husband read Henry James to her , I want to cry 'Just get on with what happens!'
    Does that not reduce 'literature' to story-telling?

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    Coincidence, I'd say.

I'm well into a re-reading of The Brothers Karamazov, and can't avoid the same heretical thought I had with Middlemarch, which will annoy the faithful , that it could do with a re-write to concentrate more concisely on the story. Yes, I know I'm supposed to enjoy the digressions into morality and theology, but like Ezra Pound's mother when her husband read Henry James to her , I want to cry 'Just get on with what happens!'

Leave a comment:

• Pulcinella
    replied
    Having typed the name Emelyanychev as the conductor of a version of Theodora for consideration in a BaL next month earlier this morning, I now find that he's the dedicatee of Donna Leon's Unto us a son is given, which I've just picked up as some light half-term reading from our local book exchange.
    Serendipity or what?

Leave a comment:

• LMcD
    replied
    Ah well,there's one book I'll never read. I have a 'zero-tolerance ' policy with anyone who profited from that regime.

Talking of regimes, I'm re-reading Henry VI part III. Oh dear , what a lot of wasteful killing. It made me think of the Michael Collins film. One can't help thinking that a little skilful diplomacy could have avoided all that.
    Currently enjoying 'Edward Trencom's Nose - A Novel of History, Dark Intrigue and Cheese' by Giles Milton.

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    Ah well,there's one book I'll never read. I have a 'zero-tolerance ' policy with anyone who profited from that regime.

Talking of regimes, I'm re-reading Henry VI part III. Oh dear , what a lot of wasteful killing. It made me think of the Michael Collins film. One can't help thinking that a little skilful diplomacy could have avoided all that.

Leave a comment:

• AuntDaisy
    replied
    "House of Cards" by Michael Dobbs - not sure why
    The TV version with Ian Richardson was excellent, as was the World Service radio version with Daniel Massey, Amanda Root & Anton Lesser. I've not seen the American series.

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    Arnold Bennett's The Card (1911): great fun, a short read following Adam Bede. Must get a move on with finding vinteuil's recommendation of Riceyman Steps.

Leave a comment:

• richardfinegold
    replied
    Originally posted by AHR View Post
    Henry James, 'The Ambassadors', last read forty years ago. I'm reading it for an online [social media but NOT X] reading group to which I belong.
    I read that and The Bostonians a couple of years ago. We recently were in New York and did an afternoon guided walk on the theme of the Guilded Age. It was interesting how an American Elite emerged after the Civil War that was determined to buy the trappings of culture from the old world

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    I'm re-reading Fathers and Sons (sometimes translated as Fathers and Children). Turgenev is an old favourite; every time I read him I get more out of it.
    I have come to him late but agree there is much to enjoy in this work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X