X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I felt bad, as it was given to me by a work colleague, whose favourite book (closely followed by Moby Dick, another I struggled with) it was.
    As you say, all very individual.
    That's another example: I loved Moby Dick but could see how many others might find it impossible to get along with.

Leave a comment:

• Pulcinella
    replied
    Originally posted by Historian View Post

And that is a reaction I can also understand entirely because it is so individual.

I only recommend books by saying that I enjoyed it, you might.

I felt bad, as it was given to me by a work colleague, whose favourite book (closely followed by Moby Dick, another I struggled with) it was.
    As you say, all very individual.

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Tried twice (different translations) and just never got on with it.
    And that is a reaction I can also understand entirely because it is so individual.

I only recommend books by saying that I enjoyed it, you might.

Leave a comment:

• Pulcinella
    replied
    Originally posted by Historian View Post
    Just finished Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita which I found compelling and extraordinary.
    Tried twice (different translations) and just never got on with it.

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    Just finished Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita which I found compelling and extraordinary.

Leave a comment:

• french frank
    replied
    Had lunch out and took Kafka's short story In the Penal Colony to read. It's a grisly tale which piles on the agony until at one point, inappropriately, I laughed as it hit the level of Kafkaesque/Borgesian absurdity. Much interpreted, it surprised me with its ending.

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    Oh, that's a marvellous book, DracoM. I love to re-read it.

Have you seen the film with Jane Birkin and Trevor Howard? It's called Dust , though there are other films of the same title. I'd love to see it again.

Leave a comment:

• DracoM
    replied
    J.M.Coetzee: In the Heart of the Country.

Leave a comment:

• LMcD
    replied
    Thomas Keneally - Napoleon's Last Island

Leave a comment:

• gurnemanz
    replied
    Just finishing Wolfszeit - Deutschland und die Deutschen 1945 - 1955 by Harald Jähner. Fascinating, detailed study of this period with many new insights for me on a subject which I thought I knew about. I was reading last night about the Nazis' Werwolf plan of resistance against occupation which was initiated once they knew for sure after D-Day that they had lost the war. This is Goebbels' frightening propaganda message to the German people two months before the war ended:

My rough translation: "For the werewolves every Bolshevik, every Englishman, every American on our soil is fair game. Every opportunity to eliminate them must be taken with pleasure and without regard to our own life. Hate is our prayer and revenge our battle cry. The werewolf is the judge deciding on life and death."

In fact, as the author points out, almost no such revenge acts took place and the only killings were by surviving Nazi fanatics against fellow Germans who they saw collaborating with the occupying conquerors.

I read the German version but it has appeared in translation under the title Aftermath

Good Wiki article about the Werwolf plan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werwolf

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    Having finished The Brothers Karamazov I'm now relaxing with Margaret Drabble's The Realms of Gold. I enjoyed The Garrick Year.

Leave a comment:

• french frank
    replied
    I've just started Nine Quarters of Jerusalem: a new biography of the Old City, by Matthew Teller. It documents the history and current social and religious make-up of the area usually divided into four quarters (Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Armenian), nine being a random number to suggest much more disparate communities. I gather it touches on the present realities of political life there, Matthew Teller indicating that his own upbringing had been 'strongly Zionist' which should provide an interesting viewpoint.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    I'm hoping millions of people will be reading my second novel which is out next Friday!

Leave a comment:

• vinteuil
    replied
    Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    His solution was that Russians should embrace a mystical cocktail of Russopphilia, pan Slavicism, and Christianity,. As he feared that this collapse was imminent, he was rather strident that his fellow Russians make haste...
    ... hmmm - contemporary relevance or what!

Leave a comment:

• richardfinegold
    replied
    Originally posted by smittims View Post
    I think you're taking it a little too far. I do enjoy character development and atmospheer; I just don't like being preached to. I think this is why I prefer Turgenev to Tolstoy or Dostoievsky.
    It’s been a while since I read The Brothers K; I have more proximately re read Crime and Punishment, which was superb in depicting the atmosphere of St. Petersberg. I do remember the Brothers as having a hectoring, or preachy tone. I remember reading that by that point in his life Dostoyevsky, who had been a radical in his youth, had become a reactionary. As with many late nineteenth Russian intellectuals, he knew that the despotic Romanovs were doomed and feared that what might follow in their wake. His solution was that Russians should embrace a mystical cocktail of Russopphilia, pan Slavicism, and Christianity,. As he feared that this collapse was imminent, he was rather strident that his fellow Russians make haste. Perhaps that context may help you along

Leave a comment:

Working...
X