X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Just finished "Gustav Mahler - Memories and Letters" by Alma Mahler. An odd book, I don't know what to make of it. The original publication date is given as 1940 but in an undated preface she says "I wrote this book many years ago". Was the preface written much later, or was the book written earlier and only published in 1940? Lots of anecdotes, vignettes, snapshots of people but I'm left unclear as to her feelings for Mahler then or later - the Freud anecdote near the end is probably the most revealing. Being Mrs Mahler was clearly not a barrel of laughs. There are a few glimpses into her soul but one cannot tell how candid she is being. No mention of Walter Gropius

The Orchestra of WNO is doing an Alma-themed concert on 18 January - Zemlinsky Maeterlinck Lieder, Berg violin concerto (in memory of Manon Gropius, her daughter), four of Alma's songs and the adagio from the 10th.

Oh yes - she seems in no doubt about the order of the movements in the 6th (the work she writes most interestingly about) - She says it was the "most completely personal of his works, and a prophetic one". She hated Kindertotenlieder.
    Richard, I've only just seen your post and wonder if the following may help.

Alma's book was originally published as Gustav Mahler: Erinnerungen und Briefe by Allert de Lange in Amsterdam in 1940. The first English edition appeared in 1946 and since then there have been four English editions each one enlarged and revised in 1968, 1969 (U.S.), 1973 and 1990. This last is the edition I have, edited by Donald Mitchell and Knud Martner, Sphere Books Ltd, ISBN 0 7474 03171.

Alma's reputation as a truthful witness to Mahler's life has been steadily demolished over the years with many glaring errors, convenient omissions and downright lies and it has become increasingly difficult to rely on her testimony at all. Henry-Louis de la Grange has done much in his huge biography in exposing Alma's numerous deceptions, letter deletions and the like. To be sure, Mahler must have been a difficult man to live with but Alma comes across as something a good deal worse and she has done Mahler scholars and enthusiasts few favours.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      "Another constant attendant was her brother-in-law, Sir Harry Verney, whom she found particularly valuable in parliamentary affairs. Arthur Clough, the poet, also a connection by marriage, she used in other ways..."
      Lovely, vinteuil. I shall re-visit Eminent Victorians in the morning.

Comment

• Laurence Target

Michael Hunter's Boyle - Between God and Science.

Comment

• Extended Play

Sir Adrian Boult My Own Trumpet

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Leigh Landy : The Music of Sounds ............... a great exposition of the idea of "sound based music"

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Walden (not Brian)
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Hitch
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Currently reading for the umpteenth time The Tunnel by Eric Williams to be followed afterwards by The Wooden Horse, the story of Williams' Second World War POW experiences culminating in his famous escape. My copies are 1950's editions signed by the author and picked up at Foyles a few years ago.

I love reading POW memoirs and these are two of the best. Aside from these my favourites are A Crowd is Not Company by Robert Kee, The Colditz Story by Pat Reid, Stolen Journey by Oliver Philpot, Boldness be my Friend by Richard Pape and The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill.

Any other fans out there? Am I missing any famoue ones?
                Have you tried Airey Neave's They Have Their Exits? It should be better known than it is. Ignore the next sentence if you want to avoid a spoiler...

It's more than simply an account of a POW's exploits; Neave undergoes a judicial full circle involving stays in, and visits to, prison cells, some of which contain a few of the Third Reich's most prominent members.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

'The Lacuna' by Barbara Kingsolver.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Richard, I've only just seen your post and wonder if the following may help.

Alma's book was originally published as Gustav Mahler: Erinnerungen und Briefe by Allert de Lange in Amsterdam in 1940. The first English edition appeared in 1946 and since then there have been four English editions each one enlarged and revised in 1968, 1969 (U.S.), 1973 and 1990. This last is the edition I have, edited by Donald Mitchell and Knud Martner, Sphere Books Ltd, ISBN 0 7474 03171.

Alma's reputation as a truthful witness to Mahler's life has been steadily demolished over the years with many glaring errors, convenient omissions and downright lies and it has become increasingly difficult to rely on her testimony at all. Henry-Louis de la Grange has done much in his huge biography in exposing Alma's numerous deceptions, letter deletions and the like. To be sure, Mahler must have been a difficult man to live with but Alma comes across as something a good deal worse and she has done Mahler scholars and enthusiasts few favours.
                    Petrushka, I've only just caught up with this after a week's holiday in Suffolk - thank you, very illuminating. I shall follow this up.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Nicola BARKER: Wide Open;
                      Robert SIMPSON: The Essence of Bruckner.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Finally got round to starting my 90p copy of The Master and Margarita. I'm through Part One: spooky at times, isn't it?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                          • Nov 2010

french frank:

Walden and The Master and Margarita? Just had to check you hadnt been raiding my bookshelves. Its a long time since I read either, but I remember being very unsettled by the latter. Its listed in my copy of "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" and at the current rate of progress I'm not going to make it: I've read maybe a quarter of them, I've heard of another quarter and the other half are beyond my ken. But The Master and Margarita is well worth the effort. Makes you very wary of black cats, though.

I'm not sure I ever finished Walden. I suppose its required reading if you are American (my copy was printed in the States) but I didnt really get to grips with it.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                            I'm not sure I ever finished Walden. I suppose its required reading if you are American (my copy was printed in the States) but I didnt really get to grips with it.
                            Well, that's partly why I started on the The Master ....

I love (in a sort of American backwoodsman way) the idea of Walden, and wanted to discover if it contained that quote carved on Mr Emerson's wardrobe in A Room With A View: "Mistrust all enterprises that require new clothes." (A motto I live by: if I can't wear my old clothes, I don't want to go).

I somehow had it in my head that it came from Walden and was going to kill twa corbie wi' ae stane: read the book for itself and also discover if the quote came from it. But I've temporarily lost interest in the project and eagerly seized on Bulgakhov.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                              • Nov 2010

#523 ff, I've just noticed that I bought my copy of 'Walden' in The Book Depot, Mango Avenue, Rabaul. There's a stamp in the front that says so. Ooh dear, doesnt time pass? That would be about thirty years ago, when I was working on the island of New Britain, off the north coast of Papua New Guinea, and Rabaul was the local town: a visit every Saturday morning, do some market shopping, drop in to the Cafe de Paris for an iced coffee (the Cafe de Paris was airconditioned, which made it very popular with the expats, Rabaul is very sweaty). The Book Depot was run by one of the churches and mostly sold childrens illustrated bible stories, but occasionally had some proper books as well. Maybe I should give 'Walden' another go, thirty years is a long time. But there are too many other books clamouring for attention ...

I also just noticed that I have two other books by Bulgakov: 'Black Snow' and 'The White Guard'. I'm afraid I cant remember anything about them.

What am I reading now? Trying another go at 'The Brothers Karamazov', but not getting very far. Just finished 'The Prague Cemetery' by Umberto Eco. I liked 'The Name of the Rose' very much, but 'The Prague Cemetery' is rather weird, I think I lost the plot quite early on. I'm also re-reading the source of my pseudonym, 'Allan Quartermain', Rider Haggard's sequel to 'King Solomon's Mines', ripping stuff.

And for light relief, a few new Asterix comics, including Asterix in Switzerland. When I went hunting for them in Waterstones I was told they were in the Children's Section, which slightly surprised me, I'm sure children would like the cartoons, but a lot of the jokes would need a grown-up to explain. They have a dig at every cliche about Switzerland you can think of: cheese with holes in it, bank vaults, the UN, a fondue orgy (I'm not making this up, its very funny), alphorns, alps, edelweiss, yodelling, cuckoo clocks ... its real laugh-out-loud-on-your-own stuff, which is a good indication of a funny book. Strongly recommended.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Parry / His Life and Music by Jeremy Dibble (again).

Comment

Working...
                                X