Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johncorrigan
    replied
    Forty-odd years on from reading it last time round, pre-war short stories of John Steinbeck collected in 'The Long Valley'. Wonderful tales, as riveting now as they were all those years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Rjw
    replied
    Just read A Spy among Friends by Ben Macintyre.

Enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    I'm afraid the only Agatha Christie I enjoy is 'The Mysterious affair at Styles', her first, which apparently she wrote as a bet. Even the second, 'the Murder on the Links' lacks its freshness and originality , and several of her later plots are borrowed from other authors, e.g. Conan Doyle.

I regard her as a skiful and accompished writer, though. It was a clever idea to replace Poirot with Miss Marple, a character designed to emulate most of her readers view of themselves, and the prototype for 'Vera', Hetty Wainthrop, and other middle-aged/elderly women detectives.

Leave a comment:

• muzzer
    replied
    Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    ....very good Kurt Vonnegut definitive documentary ....Kurt Vonnegut : Unstuck in Time....it was on Sky thurs 27.4.23....ver very good
    I really enjoyed this and have just bought Bluebeard as a result, only having read Slaughterhouse 5.

Leave a comment:

• Petrushka
    replied
    Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    I would hate to give the impression that I bother re-reading Agatha Christie.

I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse to be able to read (admittedly I'm a bit of a skim reader) and have little recollection afterwards.
    Nothing wrong in reading, or even re-reading, Agatha Christie. I remember when I was about 14, off sick from school one day, reading one AC in the morning and another in the afternoon! It was reading Agatha in my teens that led me on to reading some of the great detective stories such as Trent's Last Case, The Nine Tailors and A Question of Proof.

Leave a comment:

• Pulcinella
    replied
    Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    I read most Agatha Christie in my teens 50-55 years ago and can still remember whodunnit!
    I would hate to give the impression that I bother re-reading Agatha Christie.

I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse to be able to read (admittedly I'm a bit of a skim reader) and have little recollection afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• Petrushka
    replied
    Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Kate Atkinson: A god in ruins
    From our local book exchange.

Seems vaguely familiar, but I don't think I've read it before.
    Mind you, even if I have it'll be like an Agatha Christie re-read: I can hardly ever remember whodunnit!
    I read most Agatha Christie in my teens 50-55 years ago and can still remember whodunnit!

Leave a comment:

• Pulcinella
    replied
    Kate Atkinson: A god in ruins
    From our local book exchange.

Seems vaguely familiar, but I don't think I've read it before.
    Mind you, even if I have it'll be like an Agatha Christie re-read: I can hardly ever remember whodunnit!

Leave a comment:

• Pulcinella
    replied
    Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
    Smittims, as some who left huddersfield for the south as a newly minted graduate i find it interesting to read about these places i have no desire to visit, give me kent and central London any day.
    Your loss, there, Jason!

Leave a comment:

• JasonPalmer
    replied
    Smittims, as some who left huddersfield for the south as a newly minted graduate i find it interesting to read about these places i have no desire to visit, give me kent and central London any day.

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    One of my sons bought me 'Pies amd Prejudice': a delightful and insightful read.

Leave a comment:

• JasonPalmer
    replied
    Pies and prejudice in search of the north by stuart maconie

Leave a comment:

• DracoM
    replied
    'Operation Pax' / Michael Innes

Leave a comment:

• richardfinegold
    replied
    Originally posted by Tevot View Post
    Just started "The Second Sleep" by Robert Harris, which has received mixed reviews. The Guardian considered it contemplative & thought provoking whilst the New York Times considered it lacking in tension and purpose - Ouch!! I wonder what camp I will be in once I've finished it
    I’m also reading a Harris book, An Act Of Oblivion. I find the story interesting but his writing style a bit turgid.

Leave a comment:

• Tevot
    replied
    Just started "The Second Sleep" by Robert Harris, which has received mixed reviews. The Guardian considered it contemplative & thought provoking whilst the New York Times considered it lacking in tension and purpose - Ouch!! I wonder what camp I will be in once I've finished it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X