• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    In this case a narrator who is apparently identifiable but may actually be another of the characters; so the 'point of view' aspect is not clear. I gave up on my idea of telling a story in which there were no characters at all. I can't remember who the 'narrator' was, if anyone. It all got a bit convoluted. I also took an idea from Borges y yo about the 'narrator' meeting himself on a park bench. I have a feeling that's the one I submitted to Stand magazine and they just returned the covering letter with the word 'No' written on it. I think there might be a short story in all of this
    Thanks, that helps. As does a "Borges & I" translation (courtesy of Wikipedia).
    BTW, I misread that as Strand magazine, Holmes.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

re : 'narrator identity'. I have just been re-reading Death in Venice , this time in the Norton critical edn, translated by Clayton Koelb. The novella itself takes up about 60 pages, the rest of the 230 pages comprises notes and essays, including an interesting piece by Dorrit Cohn, 'The Second Author of Death in Venice' - which tries to disentangle which parts of the book are narrated by Mann, which by 'the narrator', and which by Aschenbach. I think I need to reread the essay...

And I think it's time to try again with Dr Faustus. Years back I read the Lowe-Porter translation (struggled, but eventually enjoyed). A friend has recommended the more recent translation by John Woods.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....I think I'd sell my soul....to be able to eat cornish pasties, pies and belgium buns again....let alone walk up a hill....
        bong ching

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Well, I may be in a very contrary mood but that doesn't stop me from recommending, "Cahokia Jazz", by Francis Spufford. Sort of - but not really - a police procedural. An imaginative triumph.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
            ....I think I'd sell my soul....to be able to eat cornish pasties, pies and belgium buns again....let alone walk up a hill....
            I'm sure there is great scope for a short story, or a novel, in that synopsis 8o, but I'm not the man for it. My contribution to the theme of hidden narrators is to refer to Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (was it?) where the first person narrator was them what dunnit.
            I'll get my coat.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

I'm sure there is great scope for a short story, or a novel, in that synopsis 8o, but I'm not the man for it. My contribution to the theme of hidden narrators is to refer to Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (was it?) where the first person narrator was them what dunnit.
              I'll get my coat.
              Once done that idea couldn't very well be used again!
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Just finished The other Bennet sister, by Janice Hadlow, her take on Mary's life after the death of Mr Bennet and the entail on the house coming into effect.
                Perhaps a bit long for its content, but some splendid language and put downs.
                I loved it when Lady Catherine, having criticised both the grocer and the cook on a visit, helped herself to another piece of the despised cake.

Now just started Amnesty, by Avarind Adiga (winner of the Man Booker Prize with The White Tiger).

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Just about to start 'Overlord', which is one of the few books by Max Hastings that I have not yet read. His integration of the experiences of individuals into the larger picture and his detailed yet commendably clear explanation of the latter are masterly.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Once done that idea couldn't very well be used again!
                    There was some anger and cries of "cheating' from people reading "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" for the first time. My idea was more of a cliché: the story within a story to induce readers into making false assumptions about what they were being told. I don't have much interest in straightforward fiction (that's for factual narrative). But then, I've never had any of my fiction accepted for publication
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

Turgenev, A Month in the Country.

A favourite play which I can now read in Isaiah Berlin's splendid translation, which I found yesterday after many years searching . I've long regarded it as one of the most lovable and profound works of literature, and indeed it is internationally-acclaimed as one of the finest plays ever written, yet curiously Turgenev himself repeatedly disparaged it in correspondence .

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... Wilhelm Raabe, Stopfkuchen. In an English translation, Tubby Schaumann.

It'll be the third time I read it : each time I get more out of it.

At the age of 72, I suppose I have half-a-dozen major regrets in life : bigly among them, not having acquired German. I would love to be able to read Raabe, Storm, Stifter, Fontane, &c in the original. Precious few of their works are available in English : fortunately quite a lot have been done into French, and I can get some of them that way ...

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

'Marches' / Rory Stewart.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            Just about to start 'Overlord', which is one of the few books by Max Hastings that I have not yet read. His integration of the experiences of individuals into the larger picture and his detailed yet commendably clear explanation of the latter are masterly.
                            I enjoy most Hastings books, although I can’t remember anything about Overload that particularly separates it from other accounts, such as Anthony Berber or Stephan Ambrose D-Day.
                            On the subject of WW II I am reading Guadalcanal Diary, I book that I have seen referenced repeatedly but never got around to reading.
                            Also somewhat OTT I am in Lyon today and just toured the Resistance Museum. An interesting place but one that doesn’t address the issues of French Collaboration or or sort out the differing roles of the Communists (and their initial passivity until Hitler attacked Stalin) and the De Gaulle affiliated groups. As for the British operatives who worked with the Resistance there isn’t a mention.

Comment

Working...
                            X