• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post

....No....
    No?!!

Sounds like a real swashbuckling piece of advice.

OK.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      'No Name' by Wilkie Collins (1862). For those who don't know him, he was a friend of Dickens and famous fort the 'sensational ' novel. He's said to be the first writer of detective novels , as oposed to short stories. His best known books are The Moonstone and The Woman in White. I prefer him to Dickens, though there's no doubt as to who was the major talent.
      I liked the Moonstone but couldn’t get through the Woman in White. What is No Name about?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
        Sounds like a real swashbuckling piece of advice.
        Did you see the TV series? I imagine that if you enjoyed them, you'd enjoy the novels. Ripping yarns?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Did you see the TV series? I imagine that if you enjoyed them, you'd enjoy the novels. Ripping yarns?
          No, I haven't seen the TV series. I would describe them as psychological procedural thrillers with a generous helping of world weariness.
          She considers her work to be part of the 'Tartan Noir' Scottish crime fiction genre.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

No Name is basically a critique of the legacy law of England at the time. The main character, a young woman (unusually active and independent for a mid-Victorian novel) is disinherited by a tragic error , and resorts to various statagems to recover her and her sister's fortunes. It's a novel of considerable suspense with lots of 'cliffhangers'; it would make a good TV serial.
            Last edited by smittims; 26-08-24, 13:26.

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2007

If you like Scottish detective novels (Tartan Noir is a great description), try the J D Kirk series. They are dark and sometimes a bit gruesome but well worth a read. I find it hard to believe they are written by the same person as the Space Team books that I've also read (which are hilarious).
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

I liked the Moonstone but couldn’t get through the Woman in White. What is No Name about?
                Wrong thread, perhaps, but we thoroughly enjoyed this TV adaptation, which we binge watched recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wo...2018_TV_series)

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

No, I haven't seen the TV series. I would describe them as psychological procedural thrillers with a generous helping of world weariness.
                  She considers her work to be part of the 'Tartan Noir' Scottish crime fiction genre.
                  ??? I was asking Padraig about Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series (with Sean Bean).
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Wrong thread, perhaps, but we thoroughly enjoyed this TV adaptation, which we binge watched recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wo...2018_TV_series)
                    My wife didn’t care for the TV adaptation so unfortunately I only saw a few episodes

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

??? I was asking Padraig about Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series (with Sean Bean).
                      I saw one episode some time ago, f f, but I was intimidated by the number of Sharpe books available in the public library. I have sometimes followed a series eg the Harry Bosch detective novels by Michael Connolly, and the Ian Fleming Bond series of paperbacks

. I'm re-reading Lives like Loaded Guns, a biography of Emily Dickinson by Lyndall Gordon.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Sorry - I thought 3603 was a reply to 3595!
                        I thoroughly enjoyed Sean Bean's Sharpe, but haven't read anything by Bernard Cornwell.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

I wondered if anyone had ever read any of Claudia Pineiro's books ? I had never heard if her until one of her books was reviewed on A Good Read.

'Betty Boo' is really good. It does not include any speech marks but I find the style really compelling. The writer is Argentina's best selling crime writer but it is unlike any crime story I have read. The eponymous heroine is a novelist who is employed to write a piece about a murder for a newspaper. The behaviour of all the characters and their thoughts and dialogue ring true. I love the fact that we are reading frim a female perspective and the interaction between the women seems more authentic than anything else I have read. Pineiro is a terrific writer. This is perhaps a perfunctory plot yet Pineiro elevates the story into high quality literature . This is the best Latin writer I have encountered .

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Over lunch in the caff: Henry James short story The Lesson of the Master. Moderately interesting where the style doesn't obscure meaning; and I there and then determined that I WILL complete my collection of short stories based on narrator identity puzzles. (I don't believe I shall as I find writing very difficult.)

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Over lunch in the caff: Henry James short story The Lesson of the Master. Moderately interesting where the style doesn't obscure meaning; and I there and then determined that I WILL complete my collection of short stories based on narrator identity puzzles. (I don't believe I shall as I find writing very difficult.)
                              I haven't read the Henry James short story, but have heard a radio adaptation.
                              Not sure what a "narrator identity puzzle" is, exactly. But, I'd guess that some forum posts might fit the bill...
                              Good luck with the writing.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                                Not sure what a "narrator identity puzzle" is, exactly.
                                In this case a narrator who is apparently identifiable but may actually be another of the characters; so the 'point of view' aspect is not clear. I gave up on my idea of telling a story in which there were no characters at all. I can't remember who the 'narrator' was, if anyone. It all got a bit convoluted. I also took an idea from Borges y yo about the 'narrator' meeting himself on a park bench. I have a feeling that's the one I submitted to Stand magazine and they just returned the covering letter with the word 'No' written on it. I think there might be a short story in all of this

Comment

Working...
                                X