Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Currently reading Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada.

If you haven't read this I implore you to do so. Set in wartime Berlin this is one of the most desperately terrifying novels I have ever read. The translation has one or two grating Americanisms but that apart this is a masterpiece. I nearly missed my train stop the other evening! Strongly recommended.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Are there any fans of George Borrow here? On the look-out, as ever, for the small pocket editions, I bought a copy of The Romany Rye a couple of days ago. Other than that I've only read Wild Wales. He seems, like Gissing, to have been an interesting character.

Still reading Our Mutual Friend - I'm at p. 213.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Are there any fans of George Borrow here?
        Still reading Our Mutual Friend - I'm at p. 213.
        I always think I would like to read a biography of George Borrow, he does seem so interesting, so I suppose I must search for one. I have a much read copy of Wild Wales of course but was surprised looking on Amazon that all his books are available on Kindle.

DublinJim mentioned Vikram Seth's Golden Gate, coincidentally I picked that up last week in a charity shop plus The Egoist by George Meredith. I only know Meredith through his poem Modern Love. However I'm still reading Great Expectations so they will have to go on the ever increasing To Read pile.

Comment

• PatrickOD

Anna, maybe you know this, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover by accident that the original, complete, film of Great Expectations is on You Tube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I'm still reading Great Expectations so they will have to go on the ever increasing To Read pile.
            Anna, how far have you got??

You may be interested in this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15779928
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Anna, how far have you got??

You may be interested in this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15779928
              I'm afraid reading has been slow, I wish to savour and not rush and finish too quickly, so just over halfway and Mrs. Joe has now died. I had seen about the new film and think Helena Bonham-Carter would be right but I cannot see Robbie Coltrane as Jaggers (well, not at the moment whilst I'm so engrossed in all the characters and have them firmly visualised in my head)

Patrick, I know the David Lean film, oh what a fright it gave me when first viewed and Magwitch popped up on the marshes!!! Again, whilst reading I couldn't watch.

I also picked up today a biography of George Eliot (by Kathryn Hughes), I'm quite excited about reading this although it's years since I read anything of hers.

Comment

• Atticus

I'm reading Thomas Mann - Dr.Faustus. A book crammed with music and musical analysis so far Beethoven's Piano sonata op111 is the centre of sublime artistic creativity. I can see where the book might be going but I love Mann's books because they have something profound and enduring to say about the human condition.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

oh what a fright it gave me when first viewed and Magwitch popped up on the marshes!!!
                  That has always been the scariest scene in any film for me: "'Old your noise!"

Comment

• PatrickOD

You're right Anna - the film has it's moments - I didn't realise that I had not seen it since about 1950, and my moment was the first sight of Estella. (heaving sigh)
                    But of course the novel has to be savoured - my memory is of lots of humour that the film did not catch, so it's going on my list to re-read now. And now that you've mentioned George Eliot, I remember concluding that Middlemarch was the greatest novel of all time. I wonder if I still think so.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
                      And now that you've mentioned George Eliot, I remember concluding that Middlemarch was the greatest novel of all time. I wonder if I still think so.
                      I don't know re Middlemarch being G. Eliot's best, but then that means I will have to re-read Mill on the Floss because I thought that was!

Comment

• Sparafucile

Hi,
                        I've recently finished reading Felix Holt - the Radical which, frankly, was a bit of slog at times. She seemed more keen on exploring the historical circumstances of the Reform Act and the legalities of property and inheritance than in telling the story and developing character, none of whom 'came off the page', as it were. I read Adam Bede earlier this year when on a prolonged period of sick leave, and utterly loved it. Alongside Middlemarch, possibly my favourite George Eliot novel. I plan on tackling Romola next year (I'm a glutton for punishment!), which perhaps along with Felix... must be her least-read and least-studied novel.

At present I'm finishing off Paul Mason's (of Newsnight) Live Working or Die Fighting, and dipping into some 'Father Brown' and Elizabeth Bowen stories.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                          • Nov 2011

Having finished Vikram Seth's The Golden Gate, and largely due to having joined here, I've moved on to Alex Ross's The Rest is Noise. This was one of the very few hard-back books I bought in the past twenty years. It's a wonderful read, and it's good to return to it for a third time.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

How do you all find the time to do so much reading and listen to so much music? I can't read and listen to music at the same time.
                            I've just finished reading Aaron Copland - The Life and Works of an Uncommon Man by Howard Pollack.Fascinating read but it has taken me about 2 months to finish it!

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... but I cannot see Robbie Coltrane as Jaggers ...
                              well, of course not. Jaggers has to be our very own Caliban, n'est-ce pas?

Me, in my younger days I always hoped I might be Dr Casaubon. Sadly I now realise I will only ever be Mr Brooke...

Comment

• amateur51

In 1989, Disney made a surprisingly good (snob!) film-for-TV of Great Expectations with Anthony Calf as Pip, Anthony Hopkins as Magwitch and Jean Simmons as Miss Havisham (having played Estella in the Lean film).

The role of Jaggers was played by the long-dead Ray McAnally who I felt was Jaggers to-the-life - a wonderful personation.

Comment

Working...
                                X