X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I am in two book clubs. They both meet this week.
    Yesterday I was the moderator and we discussed my choice, Elmore Leonard’s Freaky Deaky.
    Impressive reading schedule, richard. Like being back at study. Delighted to see Elmore Leonard's name and fame. Was a big fan - must search the L shelves to see if our library still carries the odd title.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Impressive reading schedule, richard. Like being back at study. Delighted to see Elmore Leonard's name and fame. Was a big fan - must search the L shelves to see if our library still carries the odd title.
      I was in a second hand store today and purchased a collection of 12 novels for $30. Only 2 duplicates for me, Freaky Deaky and Get Shorty. My wife and I also watched the first episode of Justified yesterday. I’ve got the Elmore Leonard bug pretty bad

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        ... couldn't get into Barnes though - but I only tried Flaubert's Parrot and preferred Flaubert)...

... predictably I love Barnes. Tho' nowadays I find I re-read (and relish) his essays and short-form pieces more often than I do the novels. (Flaubert's Parrot is still a joy.)

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          (Flaubert's Parrot is still a joy.)
          I've just looked. I think I must have given it away as there's nothing between Ivo Andrić and William Beckford ... Not sure that I got through the Beckford either.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

... predictably I love Barnes. Tho' nowadays I find I re-read (and relish) his essays and short-form pieces more often than I do the novels. (Flaubert's Parrot is still a joy.)

I'm currently re-reading The Lemon Table (a collection of short stories).

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

I've just looked. I think I must have given it away as there's nothing between Ivo Andrić and William Beckford ... Not sure that I got through the Beckford either.
              ... ah, alphabetical rather than chronological. Interesting....

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

... ah, alphabetical rather than chronological. Interesting....

Easier to remember. I used to do chronological but could never find anything. I have done alphabetical within roughly chronological. That works.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Easier to remember. I used to do chronological but could never find anything. I have done alphabetical within roughly chronological. That works.
                  ... ah yes : I should have remembered - we've been here before [ 2536 supra, 20 ii 2021] et seqq :

... can we infer from this that the left-hand (library) bookshelf is classified alphabetically, and the right-hand (work room) chronologically?

For the last thirty years I have filed my eng: lit: books chronologically (by birth date of writer) - but I confess I have taken the lazier option in the other room of alphabetical order for foreign lit...

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

... ah yes : I should have remembered - we've been here before [ 2536 supra, 20 ii 2021] et seqq :
                    During my time as a twice-a-week charity shop volunteer, somebody decided on one of my 'days off' that it would be helpful to arrange all the books by height (starting with the shortest).

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

During my time as a twice-a-week charity shop volunteer, somebody decided on one of my 'days off' that it would be helpful to arrange all the books by height (starting with the shortest).
                      You might do better by thickness: a low price for a thin read, more for something more substantial.
                      However, I've often found that thickness does not necessarily equate to quality!

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

You might do better by thickness: a low price for a thin read, more for something more substantial.
                        However, I've often found that thickness does not necessarily equate to quality!
                        Wouldn't that make it more difficult to spot tall stories?
                        Another possibility would be to arrange them by weight, ending with the really heavy stuff.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Wouldn't that make it more difficult to spot tall stories?
                          Another possibility would be to arrange them by weight, ending with the really heavy stuff.

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

Samuel Pepys arranged his books acording to size, with no regard for subject. a very Enlightenment view, I think.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Just off to pick up Coetzee's Foe (on Draco's recommendation), as I've had notification of its arrival at our local library branch (free transfer from another branch: no reservation fee).
                              Not expecting to enjoy it particularly, though, given previous experience of reading his work, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
                              Presumably even the title is a take on it being connected with Defoe's Robinson Crusoe.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                Presumably even the title is a take on it being connected with Defoe's Robinson Crusoe.
                                Daniel Defoe's original name was Daniel Foe. He awarded himself the De to sound grander...

Comment

Working...
                                X