X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

I read that. I always enjoyed Updike but remember thinking he was a bit out of his depth there
    I agree, but I stuck with it to the end!

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Where to put this?

Obituary: Edna O'Brien, the controversial Irish novelist - BBC News

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

'Foe' / JM Coetzee.
        RE-imagining of how Robinson Crusoe might have come to be researched / written.
        Utterly brilliant.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

There was a very good Woman's Hour item on Edna O'Brien yesterday, if anyone wants to search BBC Sounds, including a recording of her own voice.

I've just started re-reading Chance, my favourite of Joseph Conrad's novels. Fifty years ago my professors frowned at this opinion. One isn't supposed to prefer it to Nostromo or Lord JIm. But, like Virginia Woolf's The Years andTurgenev's Virgin Spring in their turn, it was his most popular novel .

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            'Foe' / JM Coetzee.
            RE-imagining of how Robinson Crusoe might have come to be researched / written.
            Utterly brilliant.
            I read a few of his novels about 20 years ago - Disgrace, Foe, The Master of Petersburg, Life and Times of Michael K. Being blessed with total non-recall, I just have a memory of having rated them - a serious writer. Worth a revisit.

I'm impressed by how much people read and how much music they listen to as well: do they do both at the same time?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I read a few of his novels about 20 years ago - Disgrace, Foe, The Master of Petersburg, Life and Times of Michael K. Being blessed with total non-recall, I just have a memory of having rated them - a serious writer. Worth a revisit.

I'm impressed by how much people read and how much music they listen to as well: do they do both at the same time?
              Quite often, but not if the music is vocal/choral!

I remember thinking Disgrace good, but struggling with others; maybe it's time for a reassessment, though summer tends to be lighter reads that I can pick up and drop as and when the mood and the weather fit. Currently a library loan taken out yesterday: The bookseller of Inverness, by SG Maclean; historical fiction set in 1752 (some years after Culloden).

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                A friend in the States listened to more recent BBC radio plays at twice speed
                Would that work for CDs? Up an octave, who'd notice?
                ... and those "long, tedious symphonies by composers such as Mahler, Bruckner and Brahms" might be Prom-worthy again.

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  There was a very good Woman's Hour item on Edna O'Brien yesterday, if anyone wants to search BBC Sounds, including a recording of her own voice.
                  Thanks, smittims. Found it - and bookmarked it. My sound has gone. Looking forward to hearing Edna O'Brien in her own words.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

I have always listened to music while reading. It was one of the attractions of Classical Music when I was in my teens. I wanted some music to listen while I did my studies, found the popular music to distracting, so I played my parents otherwise un used classical LPs and the radio. Eventually listening became an equal priority and when I really needed to concentrate needed total silence.
                    There was a novel by Anthony Burgess called Napoleon Symphony. The hype was that is was a prose realization of Beethoven’s Eroica. I remember reading it both with and without the Beethoven in the background. That was when I realized that music and prose are fundamentally different art forms. This may sound trite, but if one listens purely to popular music that distinction becomes blurred, as when Bob Dylan won a major prize for literature

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

I cannot read while listening to music, as I find I fail to take in one or the other. I can listen to music while doing something practical ( cooking, painting, or repairing a lock, to name recent examples) but I cannot do anything else while reading or I find I've got through a whole page without registering a single word. Also, I always read as if reading aloud (but silently!) . I did once go on a speed-reading course : the book was John Hersey's Hiroshima. But I prefer to read at slow speed.

It's the old thing about different aptitudes and different parts ofthe brain. One of my grandsons is ambidextrous and regularly writes with either hand to keep in practice. His father is left-handed, as was mine. .

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Does anyone else miss The Book People?
                        This year's Booker long-list looks more interesting (to me) than those of late, and I used to buy the shortlisted books as a set from them as my Autumn/Winter read at a real knockdown price.
                        Presumably, selling margins became so tight (as teamsaint knows) that their business became unsustainable, with competition from other suppliers, but the job lot offer is sorely missed.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

I am in two book clubs. They both meet this week. One was yesterday-it is a Zoom Club that started during the Pandemic- and the other is Wednesday. The Zoom Club is irregularly scheduled, depending upon member availability, the other club is the first Wednesday of each month.
                          Yesterday I was the moderator and we discussed my choice, Elmore Leonard’s Freaky Deaky. Written in the late eighties the plot concerns 2 1960s radicals who had been living underground and then did jail time, and have now emerged to use their bomb making skills to extort some former colleagues who have financially prospered. Some of the action revolves around a fund raising party for the Black Panthers back in the day in a wealthy Detroit suburb that very much resembles the notorious party that Leonard and Felicia Bernstein had in Manhattan that was lampooned by Tom Wolfe in his story Radical Chic. I pulled up the story along with some articles on some Radicals who probably inspired the characters and shared them a few days ago and our members were appreciative.
                          Among other things we learned that the Weatherman had set 2500 bombs over a few years. The most famous is the one that exploded prematurely in their bomb making factory in Greenwich Village killing 3 of the bomb makers.
                          My Library Club meets Wednesday to discuss The Grapes of Wrath.
                          The disadvantage of the 2 Clubs coinciding is that I will have 2 new books assigned at the same time which even in my retirement will limit my scope for independent reading. Anyway the Zoom Club has assigned The Women by Kristin Hannah, a tale of American Nurses in Vietnam, and my wife coincidentally had finished reading 2 days ago. I need to finish it before we leave for France in a month as I don’t want to lug it in my backpack and I don’t want to buy a Kindle Version since we have the real thing

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

I cannot but commend your adventurous reading. I've never been happy with 20th-century novels after Virginia Woolf, with a few exceptions such as Patrick Hamilton, CP Snow, Moredecai Richler and Julian Barnes. I know I ought to be more adventurous but I prefer re-reading old favourites.

The husband if an old friend of mine refused to read any novels because 'they're not real' , and therefore a waste of time. I gave up trying to persuade him that fiction can convey truths, although some of us have known that at least since Homer.

Re The Book People, Pulcinella, we bought a lot of books from them, but I'm sorry to say many of them ended up being given away to charity, simply because we ran out of space for newer purchases . Now we have a bigger house with a library, we could have kept them all!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                              I cannot but commend your adventurous reading. I've never been happy with 20th-century novels after Virginia Woolf, with a few exceptions such as Patrick Hamilton, CP Snow, Moredecai Richler and Julian Barnes. I know I ought to be more adventurous but I prefer re-reading old favourites.
                              Unlike many people , I rate CP Snow as a novelist (couldn't get into Barnes though - but I only tried Flaubert's Parrot and preferred Flaubert), but I particularly enjoyed the earlier novels of Ishiguro: I haven't tried the last few as I'm not into science fiction-y, futuristic type novels.

Another 20th-c writer I enjoyed was William Maxwell. I see I bought five of his, which ranks him with Maugham and Waugh neither of whom I would read at all now. On the whole I prefer European (not UK) novels of the 20th c.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

... am in France (in the Ariège, between Toulouse, Carcassonne, and Foix), so have chosen Queneau's first novel, le Chiendent [1932]. I see I last read it in August 1984, forty years ago. Like Céline's Voyage au bout de la nuit [also 1932] it's one of the first novels using the language of French-as-she-is-spoke rather than 'literary' French. Not sure how much I got out of it forty years ago, but I'm enjoying it immensely this time around...

Comment

Working...
                                X