Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2007

I'm hoping millions of people will be reading my second novel which is out next Friday!
    Best regards,
    Jonathan

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I've just started Nine Quarters of Jerusalem: a new biography of the Old City, by Matthew Teller. It documents the history and current social and religious make-up of the area usually divided into four quarters (Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Armenian), nine being a random number to suggest much more disparate communities. I gather it touches on the present realities of political life there, Matthew Teller indicating that his own upbringing had been 'strongly Zionist' which should provide an interesting viewpoint.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

Having finished The Brothers Karamazov I'm now relaxing with Margaret Drabble's The Realms of Gold. I enjoyed The Garrick Year.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Just finishing Wolfszeit - Deutschland und die Deutschen 1945 - 1955 by Harald Jähner. Fascinating, detailed study of this period with many new insights for me on a subject which I thought I knew about. I was reading last night about the Nazis' Werwolf plan of resistance against occupation which was initiated once they knew for sure after D-Day that they had lost the war. This is Goebbels' frightening propaganda message to the German people two months before the war ended:

My rough translation: "For the werewolves every Bolshevik, every Englishman, every American on our soil is fair game. Every opportunity to eliminate them must be taken with pleasure and without regard to our own life. Hate is our prayer and revenge our battle cry. The werewolf is the judge deciding on life and death."

In fact, as the author points out, almost no such revenge acts took place and the only killings were by surviving Nazi fanatics against fellow Germans who they saw collaborating with the occupying conquerors.

I read the German version but it has appeared in translation under the title Aftermath

Good Wiki article about the Werwolf plan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werwolf

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Thomas Keneally - Napoleon's Last Island

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

J.M.Coetzee: In the Heart of the Country.

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

Oh, that's a marvellous book, DracoM. I love to re-read it.

Have you seen the film with Jane Birkin and Trevor Howard? It's called Dust , though there are other films of the same title. I'd love to see it again.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Had lunch out and took Kafka's short story In the Penal Colony to read. It's a grisly tale which piles on the agony until at one point, inappropriately, I laughed as it hit the level of Kafkaesque/Borgesian absurdity. Much interpreted, it surprised me with its ending.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Historian
                    • Aug 2012

Just finished Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita which I found compelling and extraordinary.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                      Just finished Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita which I found compelling and extraordinary.
                      Tried twice (different translations) and just never got on with it.

Comment

• Historian
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Tried twice (different translations) and just never got on with it.
                        And that is a reaction I can also understand entirely because it is so individual.

I only recommend books by saying that I enjoyed it, you might.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Historian View Post

And that is a reaction I can also understand entirely because it is so individual.

I only recommend books by saying that I enjoyed it, you might.

I felt bad, as it was given to me by a work colleague, whose favourite book (closely followed by Moby Dick, another I struggled with) it was.
                          As you say, all very individual.

Comment

• Historian
                            • Aug 2012

I felt bad, as it was given to me by a work colleague, whose favourite book (closely followed by Moby Dick, another I struggled with) it was.
                            That's another example: I loved Moby Dick but could see how many others might find it impossible to get along with.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

If nothing else, Moby Dick is memorable for the first chapter. How many people wake up sharing a bed with a cannibal?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

If nothing else, Moby Dick is memorable for the first chapter. How many people wake up sharing a bed with a cannibal?
                                Very true!

Comment

Working...
                                X