X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
    Although not a biography gradus, ‘Ravel: A Novel’ by Jean Echenoz charts Ravel’s life from his trip to the USA in 1927 to his death in 1937, in nine brief chapters. It is beautifully written (and translated by Linda Coverdale), and captures Ravel’s fastidious elegance in prose to match. The final sentence at once captures Ravel’s stylishness, and the loss to the world. A lovely little book.
    Thank you, Ravel is a particular favourite of mine and the book sounds just right.

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Think you need to book in at Waterstones - or of course an independent of your choosing!
      They're almost all Waterstones vouchers - I had to take them in to see what they were worth - so unusable at independents unfortunately.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        They're almost all Waterstones vouchers - I had to take them in to see what they were worth - so unusable at independents unfortunately.
        Well there’s a NY resolution you can keep - To read more! Enjoy your browsing and purchasing!

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I'd be grateful for any music biography/life of composer suggestions, as I am bereft of ideas.
          Gradus, I really enjoyed Gerontius which I read recently:

On an Amazon cruise in 1923, Edward Elgar, the English composer, writes in his journal, ``Oh Edward what a stupid doltish ass yo...

It's a novel, but based around a cruise to the Amazon which Elgar made in later life. Although a work of semi-fiction, the author is obviously totally au fait with Elgar's works and events in his life thus far. It's very well-written, and for me it was definitely a page-turner.

Comment

• ChandlersFord
            • Dec 2021

Moby-Dick, by Herman Melville.

I’d never read it before. Who exactly calls this ‘the greatest novel in the English language’? It strikes me as barely competent.

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Gradus, I really enjoyed Gerontius which I read recently:

On an Amazon cruise in 1923, Edward Elgar, the English composer, writes in his journal, ``Oh Edward what a stupid doltish ass yo...

It's a novel, but based around a cruise to the Amazon which Elgar made in later life. Although a work of semi-fiction, the author is obviously totally au fait with Elgar's works and events in his life thus far. It's very well-written, and for me it was definitely a page-turner.
              Another good idea, thanks very much

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

A couple of months ago, in the London Review of Books, I read an extended review of 'The Burning - Massacre, Destruction and the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921' by Tim Madigan . I remembered being quite shocked. By chance I received a copy of the book for Christmas from my Bro-in-law. The book is a case study of the events leading up to the night of 31st May/1st June in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Tulsa was a booming town on the back of oil discovery in the area. Across the tracks, the black neighbourhood of Greenwood grew to the extent that it was considered the most prosperous black area in the whole USA at this time.

On that night, following threats of a lynching, there was an attack by small groups of black fighters on downtown Tulsa. Thousands of whites were mobilised and attacked Greenwood looting, pillaging and killing, and destroying over 35 blocks of buildings in the area. Estimates say at least 300 men, women and children were killed in the 24 hours, although the exact number will never be known. The story is shocking in the extreme, but the event has remained largely hidden.

Tim Madigan is a journalist and tells the story from eye-witness accounts. He also uses terminology as it would have been used at the time with extensive use of the N word from the accounts of witnesses who were intent on the black community getting its come-uppance - I think this makes the story even more hard-hitting as I find the divisions so shocking. I'm three-quarters way through and continue to be shocked at the way authorities conspired to hide this horrific event, and how a community could turn on its neighbours so violently.
                This VIRTUAL EXHIBIT is only available online (click Learn More) and not accessible within the museum, at this time.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Currently reading Victorious Century: the United Kingdom 1800-1906 by David Cannadine.

I did the 19th century for my O Level History 50 years ago and it all comes flooding back when reading this excellent book. Strongly recommended to anyone interested.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Currently reading “ My Grandfather’s Knife” by Joseph Pearson.

This is a really beautifully written book, star quality in spades.
                    It tells the story of five objects from the Second World War, weaving together the histories of the objects and their owners, shedding new light, solving mysteries, revealing much.
                    Pet, I think you would really enjoy this, as would most who like to read elegant history. We expect this to make a big splash when published in April.

Just finished Nick Lowe’s biography, very decently written by Will Birch.
                    Oddly, one of the less exciting parts was the recounting of his high water mark producing loads of hot young acts such as Elvis Costello in the late 70’s. But its a good readable insight of a musician with plenty of quality work and an interesting life to cover .
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Anna of the Five Towns. It seems like a long time since Arnold Bennett got a mention here and he rarely gets a mention anywhere these days.

Comment

• ChandlersFord
                        • Dec 2021

Anna of the Five Towns. It seems like a long time since Arnold Bennett got a mention here and he rarely gets a mention anywhere these days.

A few years ago, I read his Sacred & Profane Love. It's widely believed to be the worst thing he ever wrote - even his principal cheerleader Margaret Drabble has little good to say of it.

Personally, I liked it a lot. It remains the only AB I've ever read completely (I gave up on Clayhanger).

Comment

• ChandlersFord
                          • Dec 2021

Yesterday, I finished Living by Henry Green. The first Green I have read and it didn't impress me at all, I'm afraid.

Currently: HG Wells' The Shape Of Things To Come.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Currently reading “ My Grandfather’s Knife” by Joseph Pearson.

Just finished Nick Lowe’s biography, very decently written by Will Birch.
                            Oddly, one of the less exciting parts was the recounting of his high water mark producing loads of hot young acts such as Elvis Costello in the late 70’s. But its a good readable insight of a musician with plenty of quality work and an interesting life to cover .
                            Were there any interesting anecdotes on being Johnny Cash’s son-in-law (or whatever you call your wife’s step-father)?

Comment

• Historian
                              • Aug 2012

Agreed. Loved this when I read it a couple of years ago. Have him marked down as someone to explore further.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Just passing the street book exchange cupboard yesterday and spotted Owen Jones, The Establishment. Back today to extract Owen Jones and replace him with Karen Armstrong's A Short History of Islam. If only I didn't spend so much time on this ………… forum
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X