Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richardfinegold
    replied
    I am reading Prequel, by Rachel Maddow, a book about American Fascism in the 1930s. It’s meant to accompany a Podcast that she released earlier, but the book contains much material not covered by the podcast

Leave a comment:

• Pianorak
    replied
    Simon Raven: Alms for Oblivion. Needed some light relief after the Ancient Greeks and Persians beat the living daylights out of each other in Persian Fire by Tom Holland.

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    I've just started re-reading Orley Farm, perhaps my favourite Anthony Trollope novel. I find his characters so congenial I'm sorry to leave them at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    Many thanks! I now have a link to it (it's available as a paperback and a Kindle version too) - hope this works!

The Ventos Conspiracy 1: Solitude https://amzn.eu/d/6bxI0MK

Leave a comment:

• eighthobstruction
    replied
    Well done Jonathon....

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

Which is a mightily impressive thing to do. Any chance of a link - or a PM if it seems immodest to do so publicly?
    Thank you HighlandDoughie! Yesterday I submitted the completed document for review by Amazon's editors, they say it will be live in the next 72 hours. Once it's available, I'll publish a link (as long as that's ok with the Hosts?)

The Kindle version will be out soon - probably next week.

Book 2 (it's a trilogy) will be out next year (it's essentially completely written, just needs a little tinkering) with book 3 following later

Leave a comment:

• HighlandDougie
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
    Today, I shall be publishing my first novel on Amazon.
    Which is a mightily impressive thing to do. Any chance of a link - or a PM if it seems immodest to do so publicly?

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    Today, I shall be publishing my first novel on Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    Your post prompted me to dig out the BFI's 2-DVD set 'Early Cinema: Primitives and Pioneers'. Fascinating, and worth reflecting that until recently it would have been impossible for the ordinary viewer/consumer to see these films. This century has its compensations after all.
    Last edited by smittims; 28-12-23, 15:06.

Leave a comment:

• pastoralguy
    replied
    Bryony Dixon. (BFI).

The Story of Victorian Film.

A fascinating study of the very earliest days of cinema.

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    Punctuation in the 19th century deserves a study, as it seems to have varied from what is considered correct today. I see a lot of colons where today semi-colons would be thought appropriate. I have read that punctuation in printed books was sometimes inserted by editors to conform with house style. Scott, for instance, wrote quickly using a dash for almost any punctuation mark, knowing that his publisher would change it.

This may account for an oddity I often see in 19th-century novels. Where today we should write either

He said that he didn't consider himself capable

or

He said 'I don't consider myself capable'

they say

He said 'that he didn't consider himself capable'.

Leave a comment:

• richardfinegold
    replied
    Finished Lessons, by Ian McEwan.. A relatively long book by his standards. 2 principal themes are explored

1)is it worthwhile for a creative artist to jettison all human attachments, including their spouse, children, and parents, in the pursuit of their Art and subsequent renown? Or would it be preferable to have unrealized potential that gets sidetracked by the daily obligations that we have to loved ones, and while forsaking stardom, having a rich life filled with interpersonal relationships?
    2) for adolescents that willingly engage in sexual relations with adults, and are therefore changed in their life trajectory as a consequence; would they have changed their decision as adults looking back at their younger selves? Or would the changes made to their psyche become their essence and for better or worse,not worth undoing?

McEwan is the master of the Frozen Moment, the moment of confrontation between individuals that has lasting consequences

Leave a comment:

• Petrushka
    replied
    Reading, once again, Dickens' A Christmas Carol in what must be my 40+ annual reading. As I think I mentioned last year, I'm very struck by Dickens' use of punctuation, especially the semicolon which one hardly ever sees nowadays. He divides long sentences up with this device giving his prose a sense of rhythm that is almost musical and making it ideal for reading aloud.

Anyway, I never tire of reading it at Christmas time.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Thumwood
    replied
    According to Wicki, there are apporximately 1200 French cheeses although not all of these are edible.

Leave a comment:

• french frank
    replied
    Originally posted by smittims View Post
    And to think GW Bush famously said 'the trouble with the French is they have no word for entreprenooer' (sic)..
    He was correct. If you look up entrepreneur in an English-French dictionary, it just gives you the English word

Leave a comment:

Working...
X