• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Strange that that piece failed to mention what was my experience of The Book People, its 'pop-up' events at workplaces. I have to admit I never bought a book from them. Their selections re. printed matter did not appeal. However, I did buy a few Yves Saint Laurent silk ties from them at bargain prices. They remain the very few ties I am happy to wear.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Michael Ondaatje's Warlight A sligtlly weird (and slightly scary) book. I don't really know what to make of it and I'm over halfway through. Anyone else read it?

Comment

• Don Basilio
        • Nov 2010

I was very good and pressed on with Swann in Love and we've now reached Baalbec with our grandmother and her copy of Mme de Sevigne.

I fear that the main pleasure is the one of having surmounted an obstacle but I feel I am "getting" the work better than I did at first reading a long time ago.

And there is the pleasure of the screaming Frenchness of it all.

The narrator seems to have, in Jane Austen's words, a sensibility too trembling alive. This means he is brilliant at descriptions of things and their human context, but hopeless at human relationships. Now wonder Giblberte gets fed up with him.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Basilio View Post
          I was very good and pressed on with Swann in Love and we've now reached Baalbec with our grandmother and her copy of Mme de Sevigne.
          ... I think the scenes at Balbec each time our hero goes there are among the most enjoyable. Plus of course the delights of the horrendous Verdurin cercle....

Comment

• Don Basilio
            • Nov 2010

Yes the awful Mme Verdurin is good.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Michael Ondaatje's Warlight A sligtlly weird (and slightly scary) book. I don't really know what to make of it and I'm over halfway through. Anyone else read it?

Yes, I read it afew months ago and so did my wife. It helps to hang in there and finish the book, as most of the loose ends are tied up.
              It is the other side of the LeCArre Genre-the toll that the dashing spy's lifestyle enacts upon his or her family.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

I finished Roy Jenkins Churchill biography., all 900 something pages of it. It's Churchill's life as seen by a Politician , and of course Jenkins had more than a nodding acquaintance with Clement Attlee. Still, the ups and downs of a M.P. Election in 1920s Dundee gets several paragraphs, whereas the decision to target the German Civilian Population in WWII about half a sentence. I understand that it was a biography of W.C. and not a comprehensive history any of the events through which he passed, but while it is a good read I thought it was light on substance and ultimately therefore a disservice to W.C., although one does get the essence of the man.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Ben Macintyre: The Spy And The Traitor

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    Ben Macintyre: The Spy And The Traitor
                    I loved that book

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      I loved that book
                      So did I. A terrific read!
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Tremendous book.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                          • Jan 2014

The Moor by William Atkins. This is a fascinating book about the role of moorland in English (Atkins does not consider Scotland, Wales or Ireland) culture, consciousness and crime.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

I am going to be starting Dombey and Son by Dickens. It is one of the few Dickens works that I never got around to

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                              The Moor by William Atkins. This is a fascinating book about the role of moorland in English (Atkins does not consider Scotland, Wales or Ireland) culture, consciousness and crime.
                              I remember when I first read The Hound of Baskerville that Conan Doyle had made the moor seem like a living, breathing, and malevolent force

Comment

• verismissimo
                                • Nov 2010

Just on to my fourth Ibsen play - The Doll's House, The Wild Duck, The Lady from the Sea and now Hedda Gabler. What a revolutionary he was. And how confronting, even now.

My first seen (and read) was The Wild Duck, acted by boys at school around 1958.

Comment

Working...
                                X