• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
    Marvellous, and he’s right about Cultural Amnesia. It’s a real treasure trove.
    Some of it's ok, some not. He devotes a few pages to rubbishing John Coltrane in the most idiotic way, not mentioning any specific recording...

Comment

• un barbu
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      You're not keen on the TLS or London Review of Books?
      I subscribed to both in the past but find them very patchy now and very expensive.
      Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Love, Icebox: Letters from John Cage to Merce Cunningham

Sadly, only Merce appears to have retained the letters received in the exchanges, so the picture is a bit one-sided.

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
          Banned
          • Jun 2019

Antonio Vivaldi: The Red Priest Of Venice, Karl Heller. Not enough focus on the operas, but makes Venice sound unmissable.

Comment

• un barbu
            • Jun 2017

John Betjeman, Letters 1926-1951. A re-read and much enjoyed. I was amused by this comment to the editor, JB's daughter, from Pamela Mitford, on whom he had a pash in the very early 30s: "He said he'd like to marry me but I rather declined. I think he would have been much too shy to have advanced on one. He wasn't like that at all." Apart from the lovely wording ('rather declined' and 'advanced on one') there is a marked difference in attitude here from what we see in the public prints. To paraphrase the possibly apocryphal Victorian governess on first seeing a performance of 'Antony and Cleopatra', "How different, how very different from the home life of our own dear Prime Minister."

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by un barbu View Post
              John Betjeman, Letters 1926-1951. A re-read and much enjoyed. I was amused by this comment to the editor, JB's daughter, from Pamela Mitford, on whom he had a pash in the very early 30s: "He said he'd like to marry me but I rather declined. I think he would have been much too shy to have advanced on one. He wasn't like that at all." Apart from the lovely wording ('rather declined' and 'advanced on one') there is a marked difference in attitude here from what we see in the public prints. To paraphrase the possibly apocryphal Victorian governess on first seeing a performance of 'Antony and Cleopatra', "How different, how very different from the home life of our own dear Prime Minister."
              Too shy perhaps but still waters and all that... to which one might perhaps add Sir John's reply when asked if he would have changed anything in his life, 'More sex would have been nice'.

Comment

• un barbu
                • Jun 2017

Too shy perhaps but still waters and all that... to which one might perhaps add Sir John's reply when asked if he would have changed anything in his life, 'More sex would have been nice'.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... and not forgetting the ditty he co-wrote with Auden and MacNeice:

“Sometimes I think that I should like
                  To be the saddle on a bike.”

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2007

Currently reading Ben Aaronovitch's first book in The Rivers of London series. Excellent, clever writing and an intriguing plot. Ignore the person who described it (however favourably) as "imagine Harry Potter grew up and joined the Metropolitan police" - it's far darker and cleverer than that.
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Pullman: The Secret Commonwealth.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Currently reading Stephen Bishop's 'Air Force Blue' - a 'twofer' which also includes his 'Target Tirpitz'.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          Currently reading Stephen Bishop's 'Air Force Blue' - a 'twofer' which also includes his 'Target Tirpitz'.
                          If you don't already know it, you might also enjoy (as they say on Amazon ) David Wragg's "Swordfish", a blow by blow account of the Taranto raid and its aftermath (my future godfather flew on the first wave)

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                            If you don't already know it, you might also enjoy (as they say on Amazon ) David Wragg's "Swordfish", a blow by blow account of the Taranto raid and its aftermath (my future godfather flew on the first wave)
                            Thank you - duly added to my already substantial list of 20th-century history books to read! I didn't consciously set out to read lots of military history - perhaps it was the discovery of my great-uncle's name on the Thiepval memorial that started it all off. Yesterday, a copy of Hugh Sebag-Montefiore's 'Dunkirk' turned up in the EACH shop - praised by Max Hastings, which is a good sign. I'm also on the waiting list at the library for 'Chastisement'.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just - finally - started Max Hastings's Vietnam. Gripping already. (I'm most of the way through a second viewing of Ken Burns's harrowing documentary)

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                                Just - finally - started Max Hastings's Vietnam. Gripping already. (I'm most of the way through a second viewing of Ken Burns's harrowing documentary)
                                A commendably even-handed account I think. Are you watching the edited version of the Ken Burns - the one shown on the BBC - or the unabridged version that's recently been shown on PBS America?

Comment

Working...
                                X