Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

I'm currently reading 'Housman Country' by Peter Parker, which examines the continuing hold that 'A Shropshire Lad' seems to have on so many of us. (It's never been out of print in 122 years). The book helpfully includes all 63 poems to which one can refer as and when required.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

I'm reading 'Brexit: Why Britain Voted To Leave The European Union" by Whiteley, Clarke and Goodwin.

The most balanced, empirical and even-handed academic account out there, according to all the various reviews. And I agree.
      Last edited by Beef Oven!; 08-07-18, 21:08.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

Farinelli and the King by Claire van Kampen.

I missed it at the Sam Wanamaker Theatre, which is too uncomfortable for my ageing frame.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Your Life In My Hands - a Junior Doctor's Story (Kindle Edition) - by Rachel Clarke

'From the very heart of the NHS comes this brilliant insight into the continuing crisis in the health service. Rachel Clarke writes as the accomplished journalist she once was and as the leading junior doctor she now is - writing with humanity and compassion that at times reduced me to tears.' --Jon Snow Channel 4 News
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
            Your Life In My Hands - a Junior Doctor's Story (Kindle Edition) - by Rachel Clarke

'From the very heart of the NHS comes this brilliant insight into the continuing crisis in the health service. Rachel Clarke writes as the accomplished journalist she once was and as the leading junior doctor she now is - writing with humanity and compassion that at times reduced me to tears.' --Jon Snow Channel 4 News
            What I DIDN'T read last year was " This is going to hurt" by Adam Kay

I heard him talk at a very significant trade event last year, and it was one of the most unpleasant talks I have ever heard, pointlessly intrusive and unnecessarily explicit. I wandered out.

A pity that the book shops can't find something better to pile high on their tables, when there is so much great stuff published.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

A few days ago I finished David Harvey's Marx, Capital and the Madness of Economic Reason, which I found fairly hard-going through quite a lot of it, very abstract and theoretical, though he does point out how the ideas might be applied to non-revolutionary left-wing policy, i.e. (if I remember correctly) in America how it wouldn't make sense to raise the minimum wage without also taking measures to ensure companies don't then hike prices... As with all of his books I've read, it was a lot to take in on one reading.

Now I've started reading Will Self's Umbrella.

Comment

• greenilex
                • Nov 2010

Farinelli may be a bit high for me.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Jeffrey L Sammons : "Kuno Francke's Edition of The German Classics (1913-1915)"

An extraordinary insight into the world of German studies in the US immediately prior to the Great War, and the attempt to promote German Culture, a prodigious academic / publishing venture of 20 volumes of the Great German Writers - doomed to failure as it coincided with the submarine sinking of the passenger liner Lusitania in May 1915.

The degree of antisemitism rife among the 19th century German writers and 20th century American academics truly chilling.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Jeffrey L Sammons : "Kuno Francke's Edition of The German Classics (1913-1915)"

An extraordinary insight into the world of German studies in the US immediately prior to the Great War, and the attempt to promote German Culture, a prodigious academic / publishing venture of 20 volumes of the Great German Writers - doomed to failure as it coincided with the submarine sinking of the passenger liner Lusitania in May 1915.

The degree of antisemitism rife among the 19th century German writers and 20th century American academics truly chilling.

Nothing's changed then!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      Nothing's changed then!
                      Indeed, and let's not forget that forced sterilization of those with learning difficulties, and other similar abominations, were introduced to the U.S.A. before any such measures were instituted in Germany. As was medical experimentation of prisoners, especially those of Afro-Amenrican ethnicity.

Comment

• Conchis
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2014

In the last 24 hours, I've read Brian Moore's Lies Of Silence. Compulsive storytelling.

Comment

• Bergonzi
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2018

I'm actually reading a book by A K Green and recording it for a certain platform (A.com) She is an American writer and the book (Initials Only) was penned in 1911. Forty two chapters of which I've done 16 so far. (It's an early American detective story). Have a deadline of late October or early November so back to reading and editing ... No time for music or forums!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

'Anton von Webern' - Malcolm Hayes

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Looking forward to the publication of Moneyland by Oliver Bullough.

"If you want to know why international crooks and their eminently respectable financial advisors walk tall and only the little people pay taxes, this is the ideal book for you. Every politician and moneyman on the planet should read it, but they won't because it's actually about them."

John Le Carré
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Looking forward to the publication of Moneyland by Oliver Bullough.

"If you want to know why international crooks and their eminently respectable financial advisors walk tall and only the little people pay taxes, this is the ideal book for you. Every politician and moneyman on the planet should read it, but they won't because it's actually about them."

John Le Carré
                                Few people, of course, fit the job title of International Crook better than David Cornwall’s own father ....

Comment

Working...
                                X