• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

On Stage, BBC 1, 19.30hrs, 9Nov

Encouraging to see a new series on regional theatre given a 30 mins slot on BBC1, yes BBC1, and the first programme, 9 Nov, will be transmitted on a regional basis: North East/Cumbria will look behind the scenes at the Theatre by the Lake, Keswick: North West features Alison Steadman, Jonathan Pryce, Bernard Hill reminiscing about acting at the Everyman, Liverpool; and Yorkshire/Lincolnshire looks behind the scenes at York Theatre Royal as it undergoes a major refurbishment. It seems that 11 documentaries are envisaged which will also be included on iPlayer for areas which don't cover a particular programme, Further, BBC 4 will show On Stage at the Exeter Northcott on Tues, 10 Nov at 19.30 hrs with a 30 mins slot, followed by On Stage, Soho, on Wed, 11 Nov. Yes, my head is also spinning but let us be grateful for small favours!

I'm also recording the Imagine...series, also on BBC 1 at 22.35hrs each Tuesday. Schedule varies between 65 mins, 70 or even 80 mins, for the same series, 22.35hrs on Tues, 10 Nov, with the sub-heading, My Curious Documentary, examining the stage adaptation of Mark Haddon's book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, covering the story of a 15 year-old boy with autimism with a behind the scenes look at productions in London and New York. The first two progs in the series, Shylock's Ghost, in splendid Venetian locations, and on Tuesday of this week, an in-depth coverage of Antony Gormley: Being Human. I do wonder how many potential viewers are lost because these documentaries are scheduled on BBC 1 and its poor reputation, plus promotional waffle between programmes, sometimes a turn-off.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Further, BBC 4 will show On Stage at the Exeter Northcott on Tues, 10 Nov at 19.30 hrs
    Very pleased about this. The Northcott came perilously close to closing a few years ago because of funding cuts. Great that it will have some publicity. It does some amazing stuff including opera. English Touring Opera did Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream there (they got some local kids to do the children's chorus) and more recently Handel's Ottone. Interestingly, after four nights of opera, the cast and players wanted to sing some Bach Cantatas on Sunday in the Cathedral, which they did bumped up by the likes of yours truly. (They probably made more from that...full cathedral...than they did from the opera run.)

However, one can see why it is hard for The Northcott and other theatres to get bums on seats without subsidy. It cost Mrs A. plus three grandchildren the best part of £80 to see a half-term production of Goodnight Mr Tom. Add to that travelling and parking, and one can see why people think twice about an evening out.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 06-11-15, 18:49.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Not much about theatre per se; much about the admin and finance. The new Director seems a bit of a power house and I hope he succeeds. His obviously public school manner seemed a bit lost on a group of kids he was trying to enthuse!

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I felt that the offbeat location of the Northcott Theatre may be the nub of the problem but, alas, admin and finance always dominate repertory theatre and, yes, I wish we'd seen a bit more interaction with the youngsters and, of course, the theatre is always dying. Heart-warming to see the Theatre by the Lake, last night, as I did a full summer season at Keswick, in 1969; a season of six plays with a change of repertoire every two days - usually a voyage of discovery after a break of two weeks since the last performance. Curtain up at 8.15pm which allowed visitors time for dinner and a walk to the theatre - packed houses every night for Miller, Synge, Wycherley, Shaffer, Satre and Giles Cooper. Sheer hard work but always stimulating as the company learn how to sustain a variety of roles over several months. It could also be hilarious and certainly not p.c. but this must wait for another time.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I spent three years in the cultural desert that was Exeter between the closing of the Theatre Royal and the opening of the Northcott...

I very much enjoyed the programme about the Liverpool Everyman last night - not too much about the glory days of the 1960s, much more about the new theatre and the production of Simon Armitage's The Odyssey: Missing Presumed Dead they've just done.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Full marks to BBC4 for tonight's live theatre 'happening'. I only managed to watch the first play...it left me out of breath, and I can't imagine what it did to the actors.

Four theatre shorts featuring comedy, dance and drama at the old BBC TV HQ.

Comment

Working...
            X