• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Armando Iannucci: James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture, 26.8.15, Edinburgh

So what do we think?

(Haven't watched it yet ... but he's usually full of common sense, Mr Iannucci)

Full text available here

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Will need some time to read and absorb this. Sometimes the stars can be loose cannons that are off target …
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Will need some time to read and absorb this. Sometimes the stars can be loose cannons that are off target …
      The front page of The Guardian gave a good summary today.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Basically, it seemed to be 'Hands off the BBC, a world leader not to be tampered with'. We speak, of course, of television and (light) entertainment, with some praise for the astronomy programmes. Less (as in 'nothing') about the arts more generally.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Basically, it seemed to be 'Hands off the BBC, a world leader not to be tampered with'. We speak, of course, of television and (light) entertainment, with some praise for the astronomy programmes. Less (as in 'nothing') about the arts more generally.
          And now, according to The Guardian, someone called Sue Perkins has said much the same thing. Still very much concentrating on the lighter end of the BBC's output.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
            And now, according to The Guardian, someone called Sue Perkins has said much the same thing. Still very much concentrating on the lighter end of the BBC's output.
            As has the Director of Television, Danny Cohen: 'He said the corporation should be making shows for audiences who put entertainment "top of the list" of what they want from the BBC, rather than "niche" TV programmes that "get the seal of approval from opinion formers". '

At the risk of being ridiculed by a certain person for being ridiculous , we (as in I) have taken issue with him, asking him:

'What, in fact, is your opinion of minority interest television programmes which are merely succès d’estime? Should they be left to commercial broadcasters like Sky Arts to provide?'

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

What is the need for the unpleasant, casually dismissive "someone called Sue Perkins"? My first reaction is that the ensuing comments are probably not going to be worth my consideration.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Is this a " people who have done very well out of the BBC defending the BBC " shocker?
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  What is the need for the unpleasant, casually dismissive "someone called Sue Perkins"? My first reaction is that the ensuing comments are probably not going to be worth my consideration.
                  A bit unfair? Iannucci and Perkins do have in common that they are both involved in the lighter side of television entertainment. You can make up your own mind about whether you think her words are 'worth your consideration'.

Ed: And what teamsaint said …

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    It was not intentionally dismissive. I have just 'googled' her and now know something about her. It was not a name I previously recognised. I apologise if gurnemanz took offence.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

As has the Director of Television, Danny Cohen: 'He said the corporation should be making shows for audiences who put entertainment "top of the list" of what they want from the BBC, rather than "niche" TV programmes that "get the seal of approval from opinion formers". '

At the risk of being ridiculed by a certain person for being ridiculous , we (as in I) have taken issue with him, asking him:

'What, in fact, is your opinion of minority interest television programmes which are merely succès d’estime? Should they be left to commercial broadcasters like Sky Arts to provide?'
                      It seems strange that the high profile defence of the BBC is coming from the popular end of the spectrum - exactly the type of programming which could, arguably, be produced by any of the other television channels. Where are the defenders of the unique areas of the BBC?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

It seems strange that the high profile defence of the BBC is coming from the popular end of the spectrum - exactly the type of programming which could, arguably, be produced by any of the other television channels. Where are the defenders of the unique areas of the BBC?
                        I was going to comment that it almost seemed like a death wish on the part of the BBC, when even the heavy-metal, dance party fan who is the current Secretary of State for Culture is saying that the BBC could perhaps narrow its scope towards what only it would produce. Because there seemed to be a hint that there is 'too much light entertainment', the BBC feels the necessity to defend that broadcast area. And the influential voices, or in DC's words, 'opinion formers' are not the defenders of high culture, as is frequently claimed, but the comedy writers and performers, lining up to defend their own corner.

Comment

• Russ

succès d’estime
                          Danny Cohen might struggle to understand that.

Russ

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                            Danny Cohen might struggle to understand that.
                            Agreed. I'm rapidly going off the cut of the bloke's jib.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

There's a sort of Catch-22 going in, isn't there. A "high profile defence of the Beeb" can only come from somebody already with a high public profile - and there aren't that many such individuals from the "unique areas of the BBC". If Graham McKenzie or Marjorie Perloff were ever to mount such a defence, the reaction would most prominently be "who?". And even when someone as well known and respected as Lord Bragg does such a thing, the general response is "well, he's only protecting his job, isn't he?"

Where to go for my holidays this year? Hmm ... Rock or Hard Place?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X