X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Jeux d’Eau dans la Pluie

Although he’s miming well done to the Olympic pianist for playing on in the rain. Also noticeable how much classical music is being played - now it’s the Ravel String Quartet
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

I watched a lot of it but it did go on, didn't it?!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

It was interminable though culturally fascinating. The post modern ability to take anything seriously , the constant undermining of high art - the Mona Lisa , Carmen , Ravel , ballet etc . The only person who really “ meant “ it and allowed to do it straight was Celina Dion in the Piaf song - literally the only thing worth watching. Even her pianist and piano were Waterlogged to add to the Ravel piano and the incinerated one on the floating isle during that over played dirge Imagine.
      The evening did have the merit of showing what a genius Danny Boyle is.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
        The evening did have the merit of showing what a genius Danny Boyle is.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

The post modern ability to take anything seriously
          Inability, presumably?

I recorded it and suffice to say the fast forward button was red hot… Can’t imagine watching it live and complete

There were a few indelible visual moments - but I gather the torrential rain put paid to a number of elements (there must have been tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth behind the scenes as they tried to keep it going amid the deluge) - some big risks didn’t pay off.

However…. the explosion of tri-coloured smoke on the Pont d'Austerlitz; the Conciergerie with multiple decapitated Marie Antoinettes + Heavy Metal rockers on the balconies + a bloody explosion of streamers and smoke; the chrome horse galloping along the river; and yes, Ms. Dion doing a knockout Edith Piaf from the first floor of the Tour Eiffel… they will live in the memory.

And I enjoyed how a Métro train breaking down was a key element of the opening film - quite a good/pointed Parisian joke, that.

PS and yes, how many grand pianos were destroyed by fire or water during that show??
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Inability, presumably?

I recorded it and suffice to say the fast forward button was red hot… Can’t imagine watching it live and complete

There were a few indelible visual moments - but I gather the torrential rain put paid to a number of elements (there must have been tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth behind the scenes as they tried to keep it going amid the deluge) - some big risks didn’t pay off.

However…. the explosion of tri-coloured smoke on the Pont d'Austerlitz; the Conciergerie with multiple decapitated Marie Antoinettes + Heavy Metal rockers on the balconies + a bloody explosion of streamers and smoke; the chrome horse galloping along the river; and yes, Ms. Dion doing a knockout Edith Piaf from the first floor of the Tour Eiffel… they will live in the memory.

And I enjoyed how a Métro train breaking down was a key element of the opening film - quite a good/pointed Parisian joke, that.

PS and yes, how many grand pianos were destroyed by fire or water during that show??
            Yes inability of course - a few good moments as you say but all very random and above all , unlike London 2012 no story. But a lot of French classical music - often used as background . The “fashion” show and the subsequent dancing was the nadir. Just went on far too long as did the speeches and the final part of the Torch relay. Enjoyed the ballon.
            I reckon two pianos wet and one burnt to a crisp.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

...one [piano] burnt to a crisp.
              I thought that was a theatrical illusion created with fires alongside the piano.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Yes inability of course - a few good moments as you say but all very random and above all , unlike London 2012 no story. But a lot of French classical music - often used as background . The “fashion” show and the subsequent dancing was the nadir. Just went on far too long as did the speeches and the final part of the Torch relay. Enjoyed the ballon.
                I reckon two pianos wet and one burnt to a crisp.
                Although your original phrase also seems true - the French do have the ability (post-modern?) to take the most trivial gimmick seriously!

Let’s just hope the pianos were as fake as the sync’d playing/singing…
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Although your original phrase also seems true - the French do have the ability (post-modern?) to take the most trivial gimmick seriously!

Let’s just hope the pianos were as fake as the sync’d playing/singing…
                  Yes indeed. I think the some of the performers were taking things seriously but were constantly being sent up by the director. On a musical note I absolutely hated the sub pop re-harmonisation of La Marseillaise.

the piano flammable et flotante was fake - no doubt full of pyrotechnics. The soggy pianos looked real.

I’m pretty sure Celine sang live or at least sang along full voice - one camera shot seemed to be straight into her rapidly vibrating throat .

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... d'un naffness extraordinaire.

And too long, far far too long. (The cliched interminable speechifying at the end, followed by the apparently never-ending relay with the flame : no mercy was shown). The athletes, forced to stand for a couple of hours in the pelting rain : probably pneumonia will strike 'em down...

And despite all the organization, introducing the delegates of South Korea as 'The Democratic People's Republic of Korea' - and flying the Olympic Flag (of which such fuss was made) upside-down ....

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

.....I felt like a child going on holiday "are we there yet"....Yes I thought I noticed an upside down Olympic flag....Serbia seemed to have 3 times as many people on their boat as GB had on theirs....and those funny little boats which looked like they might need bailing at some point (ironically weren't a couple of them Polynesian island that are suffering from Climate Change....)....it was a bit like that John Cooper Clark poem...<<"the bloody bridge, the bloody horse, the bloody flag , the bloody 6k course....the bloody torch run , bloody Gagas dance, bloody sore throat tomorrow is the bloody athletes stance...">>....did anyone see a Nederlands boat??....and the black guy in gold left to fill in throwing shapes infront of (and ignoring) the Eiffel Tower lazers....then afterall the hoohaa ref getting to the Flame, it then only had one camera angle and that too was mostly ignored after all that trouble....

...Israel blow up 30 in Gaza....
                      Last edited by eighthobstruction; 27-07-24, 17:03.
                      bong ching

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        And too long, far far too long.
                        ... and (naturellement) it overran.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                          ...it was a bit like that John Cooper Clark poem...<<"the bloody bridge, the bloody horse, the bloody flag , the bloody 6k course....the bloody torch run , bloody Gagas dance, bloody sore throat tomorrow is the bloody athletes stance...">>....

You missed the bloody rain, 8ob!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Oh, dear. I'd remembered (sort of) this thread as being called Jardins sous la pluie (currently listening to Noriko Ogawa). Now I've found it, I have nothing relevant to add.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                            X