X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikealdren
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Having lived in NE England for many years and witnessed the rise and rise of "The Sage" in Gateshead, I was intrigued to know what the new name was to be...

...well, that wait is over: Welcome to The Glasshouse International Centre for Music

Hadn't it already been renamed from 'The Sage' to 'Sage Gateshead'? Why do we have to lose our definite article?

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post

Hadn't it already been renamed from 'The Sage' to 'Sage Gateshead'? Why do we have to lose our definite article?
      As Sage is the name of a company rather than just a name chosen for the building I can see some justification for "Sage Gateshead" rather than "The Sage". From a marketing point of view, if a business has sunk millions of pounds into a venue it would want to indicate its involvement?
      I must confess I hadn't realised this was reason for the name, not least as it isn't somewhere I encounter other than via radio broadcasts.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

As Sage is the name of a company rather than just a name chosen for the building I can see some justification for "Sage Gateshead" rather than "The Sage". From a marketing point of view, if a business has sunk millions of pounds into a venue it would want to indicate its involvement?
        I must confess I hadn't realised this was reason for the name, not least as it isn't somewhere I encounter other than via radio broadcasts.
        Can't answer re definite article - it's back now anyway. Regarding the "Gateshead" - I presume this was included to recognise the very significant input by Gateshead Council to the planning, construction and running of the venue [and to emphasise that (other than in proximity) it was nothing to do with Newcastle].

Comment

Working...
        X