• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    I wonder why so much trouble has been taken to get an authentic 'look' for the TV series.
    It might be Holbein's "fault" (using the Janusczak theory that the Tudors are most "appealing" to us because his portraits made their appearance, clothes etc so vivid) - except that the actors don't look like the characters they're playing. There is much to be said for Januszczak in this instance: many of the audience for this sort of programme will have seen the Holbein images (even if only in reproductions) and artefacts from the Tudor age in museums. What they say, however, is more open to "creative" anachronisms, because contemporary texts are less well-known, and exact knowledge about how words were pronounced (and regional accents, etc) even less so.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Oh God. The 'action' (if it can be termed thus) just gets slower and slower. I sleep through most of it, and on being nudged awake by Mrs A, she is able to update me in one sentence. Or less.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

What would you think of the 26 episode Forsyte Saga? I think we are conditioned by Hollywood films & USA TV series to expect 'something happening' all the time. Most of life isn't like that. And no, a TV serial isn't 'life', but I think that Wolf Hall is far more realistic than most TV series.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Oh God. The 'action' (if it can be termed thus) just gets slower and slower. I sleep through most of it, and on being nudged awake by Mrs A, she is able to update me in one sentence. Or less.
          I think you're watching it for the wrong reasons... or rather, with the wrong expectations.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Darkbloom
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            I think you're watching it for the wrong reasons... or rather, with the wrong expectations.
            Very true. They seem very conscious of avoiding anything that has been done before, and has to be appreciated on those terms. It might be something that is more rewarding watched the second time. I am not sure about some of the performances - Anne Boleyn is a bit head-girlish for me, and it will be interesting to see if she manages to give the role more depth as it goes on. Bernard Hill is great, though. Some world-class swearing, and he is clearing enjoying what few opportunities he has been getting.

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

I have to disagree. I'm finding it gripping. Cromwell realises he's riding a tiger, with the Boelyn lions snapping at his heels.
              Steve

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

An outline of events - of the 'action' - might be managed in a sentence. But there's so much more than that.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
                  Bernard Hill is great, though. Some world-class swearing, and he is clearing enjoying what few opportunities he has been getting.
                  Yes, and playing against how we might expect the aristocracy to be; suggesting how they came to be in the positions they are, through backing the right person & having more power than others. In other circumstances Cromwell could well have ended up joining them.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    There is much to be said for Januszczak in this instance: many of the audience for this sort of programme will have seen the Holbein images (even if only in reproductions) and artefacts from the Tudor age in museums. What they say, however, is more open to "creative" anachronisms, because contemporary texts are less well-known...
                    And we don't have nearly so many accounts of colloquial speech, which is what we need.

Attempts to write authentic Tudor dialogue are always going to sound like pastiche Shakespeare.

I thought I might find the modern language in the books irritating, but I didn't; probably because I felt Mantel really did inhabit her characters, and wrote what they said from that inward knowledge.

Last edited by jean; 22-02-15, 13:51.

Comment

• Anna

My sister (who has read the first book) phoned to see if I was enjoying it, she says she's quite mesmerised by how Mark Rylance can convey his thoughts just in a glance. Her husband, on the other hand, finds it too slow and considers the lack of dialogue makes it boring ..... she doesn't want it to end! Also, she reminded me to turn over to BBC4 immediately after this week's episode as there's a programme about the making of Wolf Hall.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        there's a programme about the making of Wolf Hall.

....might it be possible that there will be very little critical input....(to the output)
                        bong ching

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

One of the early silent film directors in Russia, I think it was Pudovkin, filmed an actor staring impassively into the camera. He then intercut the shot with various scenes of sorrow, horror, anticipation etc. This was to make the point that audiences will read in to any scene their own feelings and reactions while the actor's expression remains unchanged. That is exactly what happens in Wolf Hall. We can watch Mark Rylance and think we see his thought processes reflected in his face, and the director gives us time to do so. The brevity of the dialogue and the broad pace all helps to make it riveting. Magnificent.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Just finished Episode 5 - the best yet, I think: utterly gripping (and a bit more action for you, ardcarp!) plus further visual marvels.

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            BBC4 immediately after this week's episode ... a programme about the making of Wolf Hall.
                            Thank you (and your sister) for flagging this! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05471yp
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

she says she's quite mesmerised by how Mark Rylance can convey his thoughts just in a glance
                              I find there is a disproportionate amount of time spent on MR's face. I suppose the technique is used to bridge the gap between those things which can be expressed easily in a book but with difficulty in a film.

Haven't watched (or slept through) episode V yet. A pleasure awaits, no doubt!
                              Last edited by ardcarp; 24-02-15, 15:08. Reason: additional thought

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Just finished Episode 5 - the best yet, I think: utterly gripping (and a bit more action for you, ardcarp!) plus further visual marvels.
                                Oh, that was so exciting - Henry is dead! And then, the dagger up the sleeve, the decision, stay or flee before the ports are closed?, and Norfolk - Gizzas a job, as Regent!
                                Then, "God Save the King" (God Save Thomas Cromwell thinks our hero!)

Comment

Working...
                                X