Wolf Hall BBC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Possibly of interest to some here, prior to tonight's Wolf Hall - BBC4 8.00pm Melvyn Bragg with the story of William Tyndale and his mission to translate the Bible into English. Melvyn reveals the story of a man whose life and legacy have been hidden from history, but whose impact on Christianity in Britain and on the English language endures today. His radical translation of the Bible into English made him a profound threat to the authority of the church and state, and set him on a fateful collision course with Henry VIII's heretic hunters and those of the pope. (It's a repeat from two years ago)

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Possibly of interest to some here, prior to tonight's Wolf Hall - BBC4 8.00pm Melvyn Bragg with the story of William Tyndale and his mission to translate the Bible into English. Melvyn reveals the story of a man whose life and legacy have been hidden from history, but whose impact on Christianity in Britain and on the English language endures today. His radical translation of the Bible into English made him a profound threat to the authority of the church and state, and set him on a fateful collision course with Henry VIII's heretic hunters and those of the pope. (It's a repeat from two years ago)
      Thanks, Anna. I think I watched it then, but I shall set the machine to record it this evening.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

And today, The Sixteen write:

If you are planning on watching BBC2's Wolf Hall this Wednesday, don't forget to listen out for the familar sounds of The Sixteen! The programme will feature William Cornysh's Salve Regina from the CORO Eton Choirbook disc, The Rose and the Ostrich Feather.

Comment

• Anna

With the slippage of viewing figures since it launched I read it's been estimated that the cost of production divided between number of viewers means it's cost every one of us viewing it £3.00 !! Money well spent I think - shame it's nearly over, although it's got some Bishops in a bit of a tizzy at the portrayal of Thomas More as being slightly less than saintly and the general tone being very anti-Catholic!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            With the slippage of viewing figures since it launched I read it's been estimated that the cost of production divided between number of viewers means it's cost every one of us viewing it £3.00 !! Money well spent I think - shame it's nearly over, although it's got some Bishops in a bit of a tizzy at the portrayal of Thomas More as being slightly less than saintly and the general tone being very anti-Catholic!
            I'd single out two scenes as being particularly beautiful - beautifully framed, coloured and lit - last week - the one where "he" [slipping into Hilary Mantel mode for a moment ]was having his portrait painted by Holbein, and the one before with TC, HVlll and AB.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I've just caught up with Ep. 3, & the scene with TC helping a drunk Henry, with them looking at a tapestry, reminded me of this painting by Rembrandt -

except it Henry had his arm over TC's shoulder, & TC's hand was on Henry's breast. The lighting and colours were very similar.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                The lighting and colours were very similar.
                I think the lighting in the series so far has been exceptional. There have been some very painterly scenes, especially the candle lit ones.
                Steve

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  I'd single out two scenes as being particularly beautiful - beautifully framed, coloured and lit - last week - the one where "he" [slipping into Hilary Mantel mode for a moment ]was having his portrait painted by Holbein, and the one before with TC, HVlll and AB.

Yes I agree... I caught up with this ep. tonight and those scenes were paused, just to savour the wonderful images, not least as you say the recreation of the painting of this portrait:

Right down to Wolsey's turquoise ring on TC's index finger... (I wonder if it really was Wolsey's?)

It was the best episode yet, I think - some indelible moments, visually and dramatically.

But I'm confused about one thing. Liz Cromwell died along with all the daughters in that early episode where illness tore through the house. So what is happening with Cromwell's sister-in-law Johanna (played by the magnetic Saskia Reeves)? Was she his housekeeper or something more? In the previous episode, there was an implication that something was 'going on' between them - Cromwell wanting to buy her a gift, etc. Can someone who's read the book fill in the gaps?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Can someone who's read the book fill in the gaps?
                    I'd forgotten that bit - I read the book when it came out, hard to know what was going on half the time, thanks to Mantel's veiled, allusive style

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Cromwell's sister-in-law Johanna (played by the magnetic Saskia Reeves)? Was she his housekeeper or something more? In the previous episode, there was an implication that something was 'going on' between them - Cromwell wanting to buy her a gift, etc. Can someone who's read the book fill in the gaps?
                      Like Richard I've read the books but don't remember details (or even large sections ), but I think that Johanna moved in to take care of the household, & eventually became rather more. In episode 3 the implication was, I think, that she was married & her conscience would no longer allow her to share TC's bed. But TC also seemed to be stringing the Seymour girl along (& we know what became of her), and AB's sister.

(incidentally, I was rather surprised at AB allowing TC to take liberties with her - heaving - bossom)

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

(incidentally, I was rather surprised at AB allowing TC to take liberties with her - heaving - bossom)
                        Without watching it again - wasn't that bit in his imagination (cutting back to reality) ?

Reading the book, it was only on the last page that I understood what Wolf Hall was. Can't check, it's long since gone to Oxfam.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          Reading the book, it was only on the last page that I understood what Wolf Hall was. Can't check, it's long since gone to Oxfam.
                          So far, it's unusual and intriguing that the name of the Seymour house was taken as the title... I suppose that's going to swing into focus in the forthcoming episode.

Thanks re: Johana, I'm glad I didn't miss anything obvious!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stunsworth
                            • Nov 2010

But I'm confused about one thing. Liz Cromwell died along with all the daughters in that early episode where illness tore through the house. So what is happening with Cromwell's sister-in-law Johanna (played by the magnetic Saskia Reeves)? Was she his housekeeper or something more? In the previous episode, there was an implication that something was 'going on' between them - Cromwell wanting to buy her a gift, etc. Can someone who's read the book fill in the gaps?
                            Cromwell was sleeping with her, but this was regarded by Tudor law as incest - presumably because they were closely related (albeit not directly).
                            Steve

Comment

• Stunsworth
                              • Nov 2010

No liberties were taken, it was wishful thinking/lust on his part.
                              Steve

Comment

• Anna

So far, it's unusual and intriguing that the name of the Seymour house was taken as the title... I suppose that's going to swing into focus in the forthcoming episode.
                                Henry VIII stayed at Wolf Hall during his progress of 1535 and its surmised that it was there that he thought about discarding Anne in favour of Jane and that their wedding feast was held there. We'll probably arrive at Wolf Hall in tonight's episode but the series will end before he jettisons Anne.

Comment

Working...
                                X