• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Powell & Pressburger double-bill

A real treat for the movie buff to have a TV double- bill during the weekend:

Sat, 22 Nov "The Red Shoes" (1948) BBC 2
    Sun, 23 Nov "The Life & Death of Col Blimp (1943) ITV 4

Both titles is restored prints which favour the use of Technicolour, dazzling design by Alfred Junge and classy camerawork by Geoffrey Unsworth; musical scores by Brian Easdale, ("Red Shoes") or Allan Gray, "Col Blimp").

Anton Walbrook dominates both films with a rare sensivity and charm. I doubt whether British cinema can ever match such a creative partnership as Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger; they complemented each other so well and I strongly recommend Powell's two biographies. A Life in Movies (1986) and Million Dollar Movie a year or two later. I seem to recall a lively thread on the R3 boards some years ago about "I Know Where I'm Going" (1945).

In the early 70s, I did a lot of bread and butter telly roles and often had lunch at the BBC North Acton rehearsal block with John Laurie who was playing Pvt Fraser in "Dad's Army". He did lots of work for the team of P & P and told some hilarious anecdotes about 'Micky' in a crotchety mood but respected his commitment and passion for his work. I always felt that the partnership captured so well English romanticism banked down between emotional reticence.
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

I'm very ignorant about films and not keen generally, but The Red Shoes was one of the very few films I saw a child. I became obsessed by it when I was a ballet-mad 10 or 11, and many of my ideas about what constitutes glamour came from it.

When I see it now, I can see that Lermontov is a bully and Victoria Page is a victim. It's really quite disturbing. Also now it's obvious to me that some of the dancing is of a low standard. Moira Shearer is very good, though, and it's fascinating to see Helpmann in his youth, and Leonid Massine who was one of Diaghilev's dancers, I think. Doesn't Marie Rambert appear briefly at some point? Real history.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
      I'm very ignorant about films and not keen generally, but The Red Shoes was one of the very few films I saw a child. I became obsessed by it when I was a ballet-mad 10 or 11, and many of my ideas about what constitutes glamour came from it.

When I see it now, I can see that Lermontov is a bully and Victoria Page is a victim. It's really quite disturbing. Also now it's obvious to me that some of the dancing is of a low standard. Moira Shearer is very good, though, and it's fascinating to see Helpmann in his youth, and Leonid Massine who was one of Diaghilev's dancers, I think. Doesn't Marie Rambert appear briefly at some point? Real history.
      Yes, indeed, Mary - Marie Rambert, albeit in a brief clip. My heart also had a flutter when I saw the Mercury Theatre, Notting Hill, when Vicky (Moira Shearer, dances in the Swan Lake sequence). I assume that Anton Walbrook (Boris Lermontov) was based on Serge Diaghilev and the Ballets Russes in the Monte Carlo background.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
        Yes, indeed, Mary - Marie Rambert, albeit in a brief clip. My heart also had a flutter when I saw the Mercury Theatre, Notting Hill, when Vicky (Moira Shearer, dances in the Swan Lake sequence). I assume that Anton Walbrook (Boris Lermontov) was based on Serge Diaghilev and the Ballets Russes in the Monte Carlo background.
        There have been suggestions that the Lermontov/Vicky relationship was based on Diaghilev's relationship,with Nijinsky - an intriguing thought.

The scene in the gallery of the Mercury, at the beginning, reminds me rather of the scenes in the Amphi at Covent Garden many years later, when Fonteyn and Nureyev were dancing. Dedicated, fanatical balletomanes!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

A Matter of Life and Death a stunning film, the single film I'd want on my desert island.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I enjoyed all P and P films and remember them well

Saw a little of The Red Shoes. Almost heard the Swan Lake excerpts [in my head.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Good morning, saly! We are now a small band who recall seeing the "The Red Shoes" in 1948.

Two vivid memories. Last night, I dug out a programme, price 3d, at His Majestys Theatre, Aberdeen; 24 August, 1946. We had a visit from The Sadler's Wells Ballet, conductor Hugo Rignold. Act II, Swan Lake, costumes and decor by Leslie Hurry. Pas de Deux from Tchaikovsky's The Blue Bird. Franck's Symphonic Variations with a cast which included Margot Fonteyn, Michael Somes and Moira Shearer. I can still 'see' the extraordinary line drawings on the backcloth. Finally, Tchaikovsky's Hamlet - a ballet in one scene. Decor by Lelie Hurry. A caption which promulgated: "For in that sleep of death what dreams may come When we have shuffled off this mortal coil Must give us pause." My memorable baptism of fire in the new world of ballet.

My second memory was around 15 years later. Walking down Frognal on my way to the Everyman cinema, Hampstead, I was startled to see Anton Walbrook cleaning his windows. He acknowleged my greetings and came forward when I mentioned "Gaslight" and "The Red Shoes" and their impact on my youth as well as "La Ronde", a few years later. In the late 60s, I was on a bus passing Highgate Cemetery and suddenly noticed his gravestone near the gates. Got off at the next stop to return and pay my respects to this fine actor.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                In the late 60s, I was on a bus passing Highgate Cemetery and suddenly noticed his gravestone near the gates.
                I often pass that way and am pleased to say that there are always some flowers on his as well as on Kay Kendall's grave. I've got "The Red Shoes" on DVD now and watch it at least once a year. Some of the dancing (Ludmila Tcherina) a bit cringe-making by today's standards, although Shearer and Massine simply outstanding. Looking at the cast list I see that Emeric Pressburger appeared uncredited as "Man waiting on station platform". Btw. Has anybody watched Fonteyn/Nureyev in Swanlake done in Vienna? Hmmm, embarrassing to watch.
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Thank you, Pianorak. So pleased to read your comments and, yes, I also have especial remembrances of the vivacious Kay Kendall who died so young. Only a week or two since I watched her in "Genevieve" (1953) on Film 4.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                    Btw. Has anybody watched Fonteyn/Nureyev in Swanlake done in Vienna? Hmmm, embarrassing to watch.
                    I don't find it embarrassing - at least I didn't last time I watched it, which was quite a long time ago.

Stanley, it sounds as if you saw the original cast of Symphonic Variations, an exquisite ballet. The decor was by Sophie Fedorovitch. Ashton almost equalled it later with his Eric Satie ballets, using that most beautiful of English male dancers Anthony Dowell.

I wonder if you saw Helpmann as Hamlet? I saw Nureyev do it in the 1960s.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                      • Nov 2010

A well-known, but charming story...

After seeing Moira Shearer in The Red Shoes (music: RPO/Beecham), Ludovic Kennedy fell deeply in love. By good fortune, some time later he was given two complimentary tickets to the Sadler's Wells-Old Vic Ball. When he arrived he found that Moira Shearer and Ralph Richardson were presenting the prizes. Though they had not been formally introduced, Kennedy eventually plucked up courage to approach her. "I walked boldly up, gabbled my name and said, in a rush, 'Would you like to dance?' "

By the time they reached the dance floor, he was beginning to wish he was anywhere else: "I put one hand in hers and the other round her waist (Oh, boy!). Then she said, 'before we start, I must tell you something.' What could it be? 'I don't dance very well.' We set off, and within a step or two it was clear she couldn't dance for toffee." So began a courtship which ended in their marriage in 1950.

[Source: Daily Telegraph obit.]

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                        I don't find it embarrassing - at least I didn't last time I watched it, which was quite a long time ago.

Stanley, it sounds as if you saw the original cast of Symphonic Variations, an exquisite ballet. The decor was by Sophie Fedorovitch. Ashton almost equalled it later with his Eric Satie ballets, using that most beautiful of English male dancers Anthony Dowell.

I wonder if you saw Helpmann as Hamlet? I saw Nureyev do it in the 1960s.
                        Thanks, Mary. Yes, we saw the original cast in Symphonic Variations but David Paltenghi substituted for Robert Helpmann and Margot Fonteyn was Ophelia and among the principals in the Cesar Franck. Beryl Grey danced Odetta in Swan Lake. My first outing to ballet at 15 and I was spellbound!

Comment

• frankwm

Their films, generally, are invariably badly/woodenly acted (or over-directed) with a quasi-NAZI propaganda feel (possibly not the reason why the audience at the Metropole, Victoria St, made a bolt for the Exit upon the National Anthem being played when I saw "Operation Crossbow" in '65...).

"A Canterbury Tale" is at least somewhat more naturalistic - without the lurid/claustrophobic atmosphere/camerawork.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by frankwm View Post
                            Their films, generally, are invariably badly/woodenly acted (or over-directed) with a quasi-NAZI propaganda feel (possibly not the reason why the audience at the Metropole, Victoria St, made a bolt for the Exit upon the National Anthem being played when I saw "Operation Crossbow" in '65...).

"A Canterbury Tale" is at least somewhat more naturalistic - without the lurid/claustrophobic atmosphere/camerawork.
                            Everybody invariably made a bolt for the exits when the national anthem came on by 1965, as well I remember, regardless of the film.

I think the Establishment made a very timely move by its removal - probably saved the monarchy!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Everybody invariably made a bolt for the exits when the national anthem came on by 1965, as well I remember, regardless of the film.
                              I remember that, too. I think it was happening well before 1965.

Comment

Working...
                              X