• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Round Britain Quiz

The new series got off to a limping start. The first question was so easy (needing the national car ID for Switzerland, Italy, Luxembourg and Spain to spell CHILE) that I was screaming at them to get it...but nil point. Dear old Fred Housego and Marcel Berlins seem to be beyond their sell-by date, and the other team wasn't much better. The programme gets really tedious if the questions are so totally out of reach of the contestants that it's all umming and ahing. Fresh new blood needed, I think.

BTW does this count as 'arts', general or otherwise?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I prefer this format to the original, which had a "resident" London team competing against different regional teams (which the London team usually won).

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

........ so how easy/difficult were the other questions today ?

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

...well, there was a 'way in' to most of them that seemed to need a lot of prompting from Tom Sutcliffe. Even then, they were slow to put two-and-two together. Have a listen and see what I mean.

Tom Sutcliffe chairs a new series of the game of lateral thinking and cryptic connections.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

'A very low-scoring round.' There were a couple of occasions where I also didn't know the answer but did get the point of the rather laboured clues first ... I can't help thinking that Irene Thomas would have got those football grounds a lot quicker
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Irene Thomas...what a phenomenal person! (But does this date us, ff?)

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Nah, 1995 isn't that long ago. I liked this from her obit, after years of winning everything on the BBC:

'But it took seven years of patient letters to the BBC before she was allowed to appear on Round Britain Quiz in 1967. "I had almost lost hope of disturbing the monastic calm of the Quiz with the presence of an ex-chorus girl," she recalled.'

With a 'privileged background' like that, how could she fail? :-)
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gingerjon
                • Sep 2011

Must admit I haven't heard this series yet. I found that I wasn't catching up with the last one much either.

Is it time to change the format a bit and have a few normal people/teams in a challenge/knock-out format or similar?
                The best music is the music that persuades us there is no other music in the world-- Alex Ross

Comment

• Dermot
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  Who was the second quiz master with Lionel Hale in the 1960s? His name escapes me, but it was after Gilbert Harding. I think there was a 'mixed quatrain' question in every round in which the competitors had to identify four lines of verse which were assembled from different poems. The resulting 'poem' was either witty or inappropriate. The names of Jack House and Professor Denis Brogan remain in my memory as members of the Scottish team.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

Six teams from around the UK compete to answer puzzling questions.

I think the person I remember most is Anthony Quinton
                    Louis Allen, Eric Korn were perhaps more recent

...... so have we all answered this week's teaser question ?

With only minor changes, can you turn a measure of physical health into a pastime that might lead to injury, and then into a publication where you might read about both?
                    Last edited by mercia; 21-05-14, 16:08.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      ...... so have we all answered this week's teaser question ?

With only minor changes, can you turn a measure of physical health into a pastime that might lead to injury, and then into a publication where you might read about both?
                      Well, I have pulse, skiing and The Lancet and all I need are the minor changes that lead from one to the other

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

got it !!! - phew !

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          got it !!! - phew !
                          BMI; BMX; BMJ?

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

I thought BMI and BMJ but am not convinved about BMX....would you read about that in the BMJ?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

You'd read about the injuries caused by it.

Comment

Working...
                              X