X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

The Boogie Doodler

As this very enjoyable half hour programme from Beeb Scotland went on I felt a bit ashamed that I did not know the name of Norman McLaren, though I realised I was familiar with one or two of his short films. Some of the music was terrific that accompanied his work which he mostly hand painted onto the celluloid, I think because he didn't have a camera when he started out. And good also to see that face from the Thursday evenings of my childhood, John Grierson.
    Here's one of McLaren's more famous pieces.

...and here's the link to the programme.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 09-04-14, 18:05. Reason: cluck!
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    As this very enjoyable half hour programme from Beeb Scotland went on I felt a bit ashamed that I did not know the name of Norman McLaren, though I realised I was familiar with one or two of his short films. Some of the music was terrific that accompanied his work which he mostly hand painted onto the celluloid, I think because he didn't have a camera when he started out. And good also to see that face from the Thursday evenings of my childhood, John Grierson.
    Here's one of McLaren's more famous pieces.

...and here's the link to the programme.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0409456
    I haven't yet seen the programme, but I well remember the sequence of short films he made for the Festival of Britain's Telekinema on the South Bank. They dancing abstracts in 3D, and were quite startling at the time. These and other films were the first 3D films to be shown in Britain, using the polaroid system and foreshadowing the later commercial offerings in 1953, and of course today's offerings.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
      I haven't yet seen the programme, but I well remember the sequence of short films he made for the Festival of Britain's Telekinema on the South Bank. They dancing abstracts in 3D, and were quite startling at the time. These and other films were the first 3D films to be shown in Britain, using the polaroid system and foreshadowing the later commercial offerings in 1953, and of course today's offerings.
      It was interesting that it would appear McLaren had synaesthesia, Ferret, and therefore how much the images matched the music with the colour. And I always enjoy seeing early images of Glasgow School of Art which were also very good, especially with their big Mackintosh-designed easels.

Comment

Working...
      X