Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

quite so

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Most undergraduate music degrees offer topics and options which allow students to avoid much study of European classical music. So the mere possession of any sort of post-school training doesn't necessarily imply a great deal (if any) knowledge of the Western classical traditions. At Oxford (and I would assume at most universities now) topics will include 'pop' music, film music, jazz, ethnomusicology &c. &c. - anything that staff want to offer, as well as the performance and composition options. The key point is where students' interest lies.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

what would the ideal Radio 3 presenter's CV contain ?

or how would the ideal Radio 3 presenter's CV read ?

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          what would the ideal Radio 3 presenter's CV contain ?
          Not the names Sara, Mohr or Pietsch I would suggest????

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Most undergraduate music degrees offer topics and options which allow students to avoid much study of European classical music. So the mere possession of any sort of post-school training doesn't necessarily imply a great deal (if any) knowledge of the Western classical traditions. At Oxford (and I would assume at most universities now) topics will include 'pop' music, film music, jazz, ethnomusicology &c. &c. - anything that staff want to offer, as well as the performance and composition options. The key point is where students' interest lies.
            Oxford appears to me to be a lot more conservative in its music degree syllabus than some other universities. See http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...-listing/music

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I think the idea was to increase the street cred rather than impress Radio 3 listeners. However, the target audience for Radio 1 is 15-29, so at 39 she is 'supposed' to have graduated to Stuart Maconie on 6 Music.
              How many of the R1 target audience read the Telegraph (apart from the Young Conservatives)?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                How many of the R1 target audience read the Telegraph (apart from the Young Conservatives)?
                There are no Young Conservatives.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  There are no Young Conservatives.

Comment

Working...
                  X