X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Series available on Youtube

You know how it is. Nothing on telly, that box set is stuck in the post, people on the board only want to talk about politics....but there are gems on our friend youtube to entertain us.

I thought a thread with some classic gold TV (or films, plays, whatever) might be fun, or useful. Series might need to be available complete, perhaps. Maybe some musical gold too.
    Anyway, here's one that only got one outing IIRC, and the BBC don't seem to have blocked.

Gormenghast.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

all four episodes available complete.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

For reasons that need not detain us, I am watching the Rattle series " Leaving Home" from 1997 (?)

Which has its moments, for sure.

I think all the episodes are available.
    Does anybody know for sure if the text was all written by Michael Hall, who wrote the book which accompanied the series ? I'm rather assuming that Rattle was consulted, but that the main body of work was by Hall.

Great thread this, BTW........
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

So many series I could recommend.
      I particularly enjoyed 'Fortunes of War', based on Olivia Manning's 'Balkan Trilogy' and starring Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson and Ronald Pickup.
      On another thread, I recently recommended the 'Beiderbecke' series with James Bolam, Barbara Flynn and the recently departed Dudley Sutton.
      For Robin Bailey fans, there's Peter Tinniswood's 'I Didn't Know You Cared'
      Last edited by LMcD; 27-09-18, 21:36.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        For reasons that need not detain us, I am watching the Rattle series " Leaving Home" from 1997 (?)

Which has its moments, for sure.

I think all the episodes are available.
        Does anybody know for sure if the text was all written by Michael Hall, who wrote the book which accompanied the series ? I'm rather assuming that Rattle was consulted, but that the main body of work was by Hall.

Great thread this, BTW........
        Lots of fine extras on the DVDs of that series, including Carewe, Rattle and Harding conducting a performance of Stockhausen's Gruppen.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          I'm not sure - reading the Preface to the book, Hall describes it as "based upon" the TV series, and Rattle's Foreword mentions that he (Rattle) was first approached about producing the TV series, and that he wanted it to have the same sort of reach as Clark's Civilisation and Hughes' Shock of the New. The book is also "peppered" with quotations from Rattle's spoken contributions to the TV series - and he is certainly capable of writing his own script for these. I'm pretty sure that Rattle wrote his own "scripts", and chose the works that are featured in the series. Hall's text is much wider-ranging in repertoire, and he may have written the majority of the voice-over text, but Rattle's role (I tried to sneak a "sheik" in there, but it didn't work) was a bit more than "consultant".

It was a good series - glad to see it again - and appeared at around the same time as the R3 similar series, Settling the Score, written by another wonderful writer on 20th Century Music, Michael Oliver.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I'm not sure - reading the Preface to the book, Hall describes it as "based upon" the TV series, and Rattle's Foreword mentions that he (Rattle) was first approached about producing the TV series, and that he wanted it to have the same sort of reach as Clark's Civilisation and Hughes' Shock of the New. The book is also "peppered" with quotations from Rattle's spoken contributions to the TV series - and he is certainly capable of writing his own script for these. I'm pretty sure that Rattle wrote his own "scripts", and chose the works that are featured in the series. Hall's text is much wider-ranging in repertoire, and he may have written the majority of the voice-over text, but Rattle's role (I tried to sneak a "sheik" in there, but it didn't work) was a bit more than "consultant".

It was a good series - glad to see it again - and appeared at around the same time as the R3 similar series, Settling the Score, written by another wonderful writer on 20th Century Music, Michael Oliver.
            Thanks Ferney, all very helpful.
            The book is available for a couple of quid on amazon, so sounds worth a punt. Though I already punted.
            Although having read your Hayley appropriate Rattle and role pun, I wouldn’t want to comet myself on just that single recommendation.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

If we're allowed single plays/films, there are a good number of examples of the BBC Play Of The Month and Screen Two, and some costume dramas.
              A quick check seems to indicate that all of 'When The Boat Comes In' is also available.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

I have found many gems. The 3-part dramatisation of Val McDermid's A Place of Execution, for one. Really good tale, well adapted.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

I recently enjoyed 'Love on A Branch Line'...
                  I can also strongly recommend (although each episode is segmented) the excellent BBC Scotland adaptation of Ian Rankin's 'The Crow Road'.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Blimey teams! Thanks - this thread spurred me to look for something I've wanted to rewatch for years: the 2000 BBC series In a Land of Plenty... (never been repeated nor out on DVD for some reason). I've been after it for a very specific reason: one episode ended with a sequence just accompanied by a piece of piano music, uncredited, and which I tried to identify for years! I finally did so with the help of someone here, and now it's one of my favourite pieces to play, Grainger's arrangement of Dowland's Now, o now, I needs must part.

There are only two episodes on YouTube but one of them is the relevant one! The sequence that stayed with me so strongly is from just after 45' here:

Cheers for starting this thread!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Blimey teams! Thanks - this thread spurred me to look for something I've wanted to rewatch for years: the 2000 BBC series In a Land of Plenty... (never been repeated nor out on DVD for some reason). I've been after it for a very specific reason: one episode ended with a sequence just accompanied by a piece of piano music, uncredited, and which I tried to identify for years! I finally did so with the help of someone here, and now it's one of my favourite pieces to play, Grainger's arrangement of Dowland's Now, o now, I needs must part.

I've owned the music for this since university. It's such a pity I can't play the piano...

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                        • Jan 2014

I had on my list the TV series Bill Brand (resulting form a mention on these boards) - I like Jack Shepherd. But I wasn't sure iif it would hold attention all these years on. I don't have to buy the DVD now - the series is there !

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

There are only two episodes on YouTube but one of them is the relevant one! The sequence that stayed with me so strongly is from just after 45' here:

I've found all 3 episodes - which one are you missing? (If you play episode 1, episode 2 comes up automatically as soon as you finish)

Comment

• Conchis
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2014

I remember buying In A Land Of Plenty from WHS on video when they had a sale. I paid virtually nothing for it, but I can remember struggling to get through it. In the end, I found it rewarding but I think some of the director's/screenwriter's choices didn't make things easy.

Comment

Working...
                            X