Julie Burchill on A Good Read (R4 today)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

It has been suggested that the thread has degenerated a little (or gone somewhat off topic in relation to any particular individual) and might be closed. I think that a little drastic, but do members want to talk about Julie Burchill or general aspects of sexism? I would welcome a steer.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Maybe the relevant messages could be move to the "Politics, current affairs board"?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Maybe the relevant messages could be move to the "Politics, current affairs board"?
        On the grounds that it is 'gender politics' that would be a possibility.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          On the grounds that it is 'gender politics' that would be a possibility.
          You catch my drift.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Everything I wanted to say was well summed up in ferny's #52.

I can't be bothered with any further arguments against the conviction that there's any method of contraception that's infallible, which is all that seems to be left.

Last edited by jean; 20-03-14, 14:23.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

" ... the conviction that there's any method of contraception that's infallible ... "

Strange. That conviction has not been expressed anywhere in this thread, but there you go.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Good. Then we can stop censuring Julie Burchill and Tony Parsons for not employing it, and there's really nothng more to be said.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  Good. Then we can stop censuring Julie Burchill and Tony Parsons for not employing it, and there's really nothng more to be said.
                  Perhaps the answer was in the Lesley Gore song!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    You did go on about it though, didn't you?
                    Completely wrong. I made one post in which the main point was her marriage to Tony Parsons (which has continued to be the subject of rows between them in print). One other after that in response to another post; any subsequent posts (2, I think) were responding to yours).

& I think that, given the comments in the o.p. the matter of her dislike (or more) of her children was relevant.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I think we'd better agree to disagree about the relevance of her dislike (or more) of her children to the OP, don't you?

But it's only fair to point out that dislike doesn't seem to be the best description of her relationship with her younger son, at any stage.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

I'm quite happy to drop any discussion of JB; she's not someone I've ever really taken much notice of in the past, & hopefully she will be equally absent from my life in the future.

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I know I started it, but

Comment

Working...
                          X