Julie Burchill on A Good Read (R4 today)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Here's a nice bit of irony for you. O.k., the Mothers' Day heading of the web-page may be transient, and indeed gone tomorrow, but JB's "I've always hated phoneys" will remain. Quite a quote from the phoney mother to cap 'em all.
    you made me read some of her stuff Bryn.

I hope you are proud of yourself. Thats 45 seconds i won't get back.

She really does write complete crap. but honest, non phoney crap.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Here's a nice bit of irony for you. O.k., the Mothers' Day heading of the web-page may be transient, and indeed gone tomorrow, but JB's "I've always hated phoneys" will remain. Quite a quote from the phoney mother to cap 'em all.
      Do you really expect her to be consistent? Do you want her to be? Does she have to be? Who cares? What difference will it make?

I really can't see why you're all hatin' on her.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I am amazed that Julie Burchill should be getting so much flak for abandoning her child, something men do every day of the week.

But no-one ever brings a man's having left his wife and family into a discussion on whether his opinions on a work of literature are worth hearing or not.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Do you really expect her to be consistent? Do you want her to be? Does she have to be? Who cares? What difference will it make?

I really can't see why you're all hatin' on her.
          Because she is a time wasting, space wasting irritation. Because she is a waste of an opportunity for somebody to say something worthwhile, positive, (really) honest, thought out or otherwise beneficial. Because her level of negativity and self absorbtion is dispiriting and probably a construct.
          Because the world has too many things that really do need addressing by those with that kind of platform.

Because her kind of student angst (ok she was probably never a student), is two a penny.

I won't go on.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Because she is a time wasting, space wasting irritation. Because she is a waste of an opportunity for somebody to say something worthwhile, positive, (really) honest, thought out or otherwise beneficial. Because her level of negativity and self absorbtion is dispiriting and probably a construct.
            Because the worl has too many things that really do need addressing by those with that kind of platform.

Because her kind of student angst (ok she was probably never a student), is two a penny.

I won't go on.
            But you've described a lot of people there.

Why is it a crime when Julie presents like that?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
              I am amazed that Julie Burchill should be getting so much flak for abandoning her child, something me do every day of the week.

But no-one ever brings a man's having left his wife and family into a discussion on whether his opinions on a work of literature are worth hearing or not.
              Bit of a Freudian slip re the "me", perchance. I note you have quickly got in and adjusted its dress.

My point was re. the irony of her tilting at "Phoneys" when she stands as a prime example.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                But you've described a lot of people there.

Why is it a crime when Julie presents like that?
                I didn't exonerate anybody similar.
                I gave up buying newspapers more than 20 years ago, and read them sporadically at most. I am just reminded of why. JB is just an especially bad example of the kind of thing I mentioned.
                It's not a crime, just a sad waste of resources, including her own talent. I accept that she has some talent. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it is badly misused.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Bit of a Freudian slip re the "me", perchance. I note you have quickly got in and adjusted its dress.
                  Nothing Freudian about it, as I haven't abandoned any children, or even left them to the care of someone better able to look after them than me..

My point was re. the irony of her tilting at "Phoneys" when she stands as a prime example.
                  You may think that abandoning a child is worse when a woman does it than when a man does, but in neither case is such behaviour anything to do with being phoney.

A phoney pretends to be something they're not. The charge could only stand if Juile Burchill had ever claimed to be a good mother.

Last edited by jean; 19-03-14, 19:53.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

I am amazed that Julie Burchill should be getting so much flak for abandoning her child, something men do every day of the week.
                    A point she was quoted in the article I linked to as making. Do men do it every day of the week? I know they do it quite a lot, probably more than women do. I think that in JB's case she comes across as not wanting to have the child in the first place so one wonders why she did, & then why she did it again. (well, actually, I don't wonder for very long)

I did query whether it had anything to do with her literary 'criticism' - I'd agree not much. I was simply adding to the picture of her in response to someone asking who she was.

(the joke about the small boy seeing Queen Mary & asking 'What is that lady for?' comes to mind.)

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

[ Is it safe to come out from under the duvet yet??? ]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        Just leave lovely Jules alone, and it'll be ok

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

You may think that abandoning a child is worse when a woman does it than when a man does, ...
                          I don't. She was a phoney as a parent, walking out on her young son, then years later feigning to take him back under her wing only to turf him out in short order to make room for her latest lover. Phoney parenting is phoney parenting, whether carried out by mother, father or one in loco parentis. If you feel the need to search out sexism, I feel a mirror might prove of use.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            Depends who you're hiding from

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

If you feel the need to search out sexism, I feel a mirror might prove of use.
                              I didn't need to search very hard.

But if you can find me one thread anywhere on this forum where readers are invited to censure a man, any man, for his inadequacy as a husband and father, I'll take your charge seriously.

Until then, not.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Retuning to the OP, from Ardcarps two examples, it seems that JB didn't like either of her two books. I wonder if she did like anything else(other than the DVD) that was discussed, if anything else was discussed.
                                This was always my major beef with her. Its hard to see the point of a critic who is almost always negative about the the things they are reviewing, as she was at at the NME.

As for the mentions of Salinger being a "pervert", does she know more than I do, that his relationships were complex and probably rather unsatisfactory, and that he seems to have been something of a control freak?
                                Last edited by teamsaint; 20-03-14, 09:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X