X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Honoured Guest
    • Oct 2024

Errors

Tonight the announcer made three basic howler errors that I noticed. Is this usual? Or is he ill? Or did he do it for a bet? Or did his scriptwriter play a practical joke on him? Whatever the reason, it's shoddy broadcasting.

19:30 He tells us that tonight's The Wire is set in Georgetown in Cardiff. In fact, it's set in Grangetown in Cardiff.

21:45 Announcing the play, he names the writer as Daffydd James. In fact, it's Dafydd James.

22:30 He tells us next week's The Wire is written by Patrick McCable. In fact, it's by Patrick McCabe.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

We have had a custom not to mention the names of presenters we criticise in thread titles, since it draws unfair attention (especially if the criticism is implied in the title too). If anyone can help me out by finding where it has been evoked (on a few occasions) I'll amend this title.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Fine, please do amend in the usual way.

I guess this sloppiness happens because it's an announcer, not a presenter. Presenters usually take care to know what they're talking about! But announcers are just reading a script, and clearly aren't bothered to check basic accuracy (#1 and #3) or pronunciation (#2).

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post

I guess this sloppiness happens because it's an announcer, not a presenter. Presenters usually take care to know what they're talking about! But announcers are just reading a script, and clearly aren't bothered to check basic accuracy (#1 and #3) or pronunciation (#2).
        Are you absolutely sure that you typed what you intended to write here , HG?
        Have you heard "In Tune", at all?
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post

This was a ruling - (final sentence) a kind of by-law, rather than a House Rule. I know it sounds a bit picky, but BBC people do look in on the forum, so it isn't very pleasant to see oneself being singled out in such a way.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Oh goody, the change of thread title allows me to mention a couple of howlers associated with the set of Blu-rays (and probably the parallel DVDs too) of Mahler Symphonies 1 to 7 (Lucerne Festival Orchestra, etc., Claudio Abbado). Not only does Keith Anderson, having listed the original five movements of the work which was later revised into the First Symphony, fail to mention the dropping of Blumine from the Symphonic Poem, "Titan", when Mahler re-orchestrated the other four movements to create the First Symphony, he also claims, quite falsely, that the name "Titan" was conferred on the work "later", rather than the early title of "Titan" being abandoned by the composer when he presented the four movement final version, i.e. the First Symphony (sans soubriquet).

Also, on the disc on which only the 7th symphony is to be found, a closing credit for Renée Fleming as "Soloist" is included. In fact she does not feature in any of the performances in the set of four Blu-ray discs, let alone in the 7th Symphony. Very strange.
            Last edited by Bryn; 23-02-14, 06:41. Reason: Careless grammatical slips due to initial edit.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              it isn't very pleasant to see oneself being singled out in such a way.
              is the "how very apt" thread somehow more pleasant for the person involved, by not having her name in the thread title ?
              Last edited by mercia; 23-02-14, 10:02.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                is the "how very apt" thread somehow more pleasant for the person involved, by not having her name in the thread title ?
                It's less noticeable. That's the reason for not including it in the title where it remains in the What's New? listen for some while, and people skim down it to see what catches their eye.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Possibly not, although when you appear on a show called "Pointless Celebrities" you really are asking for it.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

less noticeable unpleasantness. I understand. "listen for some while" what am I listening to ?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

less noticeable unpleasantness. I understand. "listen for some while"
                      List List List List List. I must write out 1,000 times ....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, but those responsible for passing on information should take greater care. BBC teletext is a case in point. The "facts" are often more like tabloid headlines.
                        Even today, a news item was posted: "Last of Trapp Family Singers dies" referring to the death of Maria von Trapp, who was portrayed as Louisa in the musical. It goes on to say her brother, Johannes, announced the news. Yet he too was one of the Von Trapp Singers. He was a child of the more famous Maria - not in the stage/film musical, but nevertheless one of the singing group in later years.

Comment

Working...
                        X