• Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Books of the Year

For me:

Fiction: Stoner by John Williams
    Non-Fiction: 1599 by James Shapiro
    A bit disappointed in the biography of Patrick Leigh Fermor.

For you... ?
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Fiction [or is it?] Yellow Birds / Kevin Powers

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Letters from a Life, Selected Letters of Benjamin Britten, Vol VI, 1966-1976

Britten's Century, Celebrating 100 Years of Benjamin Britten

Olivier - a biography by Philip Ziegler

Stage Blood - Michael Blakemore - 5 years as deputy director at the NT

The National Theatre Story, Daniel Rosenthal - catalogues/discusses 800 NT productions

Breakfast with Lucian (Freud) - A Portrait of the Artist

The Leonard Bernstein Letters, edited by Nigel Simeone

My Lunches with Orson; Conversations Between Henry Jaglom and Orson Welles
      NB now being presented on R 4, starting earlier today, 19 Dec, concluding Boxing Day

Dropped Names, Famous Men and Women as I Knew Them. memoir by Frank Langella

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
        Letters from a Life, Selected Letters of Benjamin Britten, Vol VI, 1966-1976

Britten's Century, Celebrating 100 Years of Benjamin Britten

Olivier - a biography by Philip Ziegler

Stage Blood - Michael Blakemore - 5 years as deputy director at the NT

The National Theatre Story, Daniel Rosenthal - catalogues/discusses 800 NT productions

Breakfast with Lucian (Freud) - A Portrait of the Artist

The Leonard Bernstein Letters, edited by Nigel Simeone

My Lunches with Orson; Conversations Between Henry Jaglom and Orson Welles
        NB now being presented on R 4, starting earlier today, 19 Dec, concluding Boxing Day

Dropped Names, Famous Men and Women as I Knew Them. memoir by Frank Langella
        An intriguing list Stanley - is the Ziegler worth reading? I've just finished reading the 2005 Terry Coleman biography.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Thanks, ams. A tricky one of swings and roundabouts. My personal preference is for the Terry Coleman biography. However, a Festive Season card, yesterday, from quite a well known name - we were in rep together 50 years ago this year! - assures me that Ziegler really 'caught the man'. Coincidentally, I'm also reading Knight Errant, the 1996 biography of Robert Stephens, a close associate of Olivier's at the NT and he, too, reflects on the darkness behind Olivier's competitive and incorrigibly jealous disposition. I'd leave Ziegler well alone for a year or two but perhaps take a shufti of Michael Blakemore's recent memoir, "Stage Blood"; particularly the illuminating chapter on his rehearsing Olivier in "Long Day's Journey Into Night"; the strategy and tact needed to gain his confidence. In turn, this facet should be balanced against Olivier's capacity for hard work, his belief and total commitment to the NT and, particularly, his encouragement of young actors. Always enjoyed relaxing in their company and I've often been told how, at the end of a season, they would come away from their interviews, feeling like a million dollars, until they realised that they also left with their P45!

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

A follow-up question, Stanley: Is the Langella worth the investment of time? It's intriguing, but...

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

"The Sorcerer Of Bayreuth" By Barry Millington, Published In October Last year I know, but got it for Christmas and started reading it in 2013 (Does That Count?)
              "At The Close Of Play" By Ricky Ponting

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                A follow-up question, Stanley: Is the Langella worth the investment of time? It's intriguing, but...
                Yes, indeed, vm. He is a most perceptive and sharp observer. Several most enjoyable splutters throughout.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

I'm not sure that I've read any books in 2013 that were published this year but the book that has given me most pleasure in the past 12 months is undoubtedly The End: Hitler's Germany 1944-1945 by Ian Kershaw. It is a searing and illuminating read, casting new light on why Germany went on fighting when all was clearly lost. The final months of the Second World War in East Prussia and eastern Germany make for horrific reading but Kershaw's prose style is masterly in telling this terrible tale and I can see that I'll be reading and re-reading this book over the coming years.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I'm not sure how many others did, but I enjoyed reading Alan Rusbridger's Play it Again - An Amateur Against the Impossible - the account of a remarkably balanced, rounded and cultured individual's determination to learn and perform Chopin's Ballade No 1, against a backdrop of being editor of the Guardian in the year of the Arab Spring, Japanese Tsunami, English riots, Wikileaks, the NOTW hacking scandal.....

Comment

Working...
                    X