X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jun 2024

Doris Lessing, feminist writer, has died aged 94

Doris Lessing, the Nobel prize-winning author of The Golden Notebook and The Grass is Singing, among more than 50 other novels ranging from political to science fiction, has died aged 94.

The citation from the Swedish Academy called her "that epicist of the female experience, who with scepticism, fire and visionary power has subjected a divided civilisation to scrutiny".

Tributes pour in for Nobel prize-winning author of over 50 novels including The Golden Notebook

Philip Glass collaborated with her in 1988 on his opera The Making of the Representative for Planet 8 , which I saw at English National Opera.

• Roehre

Very sad, for me a much appreciated writer

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Sad news indeed

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Reading "Four Gated City" as an undergraduate was a glimpse into a different and exciting world, where things that were extraordinary for us were, or seemed to be , everyday life for other people.
        A world of possibilities that were still to be hoped for.

RIP.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Briefing for a Descent Into Hell is an extraordinary read. I watched the news and enjoyed seeing again her exasperated "Oh Christ" reaction to winning the Nobel prize.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I am not sure she would be impressed ams by your label of " feminist " writer - she was renowned for hating being pigeonholed or labelled.

Comment

Working...
            X