• Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Do3 - Sun 3 Nov, Camus, The Outsider

Sunday, 10pm-11.30pm.

Camus, The Outsider

I suppose The Outsider is the work most closely associated with Camus by most people. But given that it's to mark the centenary of AC's birth - maybe one of his plays would have been appropriate, though they are rather 'strong meat' especially, for the present time, Les Justes . But nothing if not topical ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Sunday, 10pm-11.30pm.

Camus, The Outsider

I suppose The Outsider is the work most closely associated with Camus by most people. But given that it's to mark the centenary of AC's birth - maybe one of his plays would have been appropriate, though they are rather 'strong meat' especially, for the present time, Les Justes . But nothing if not topical ...
    My French A Level (plus other stuff I don't remember) - Oxford & Cambridge Board, 1964.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Yes, that's about the right date. And Sartre?

We also read Camus's La Peste, which has left much more of an impression on me than l'Etranger.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Yes, that's about the right date. And Sartre?

We also read Camus's La Peste, which has left much more of an impression on me than l'Etranger.
        Sartre was considered A Very Bad Influence when I was at school. Camus, being an anarchist, was OK, because anarchism gets us nowhere, as we all know.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Was about to comment on the earlier evening Camus prog.
          Last edited by DracoM; 03-11-13, 21:06. Reason: Wrong Camus prog.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I seem to remember some (over?) neat formula about the difference between the Absurd as dealt with by Kafka and Camus. It went along the lines that for Kafka, Man is a rational being faced with a world that is absurd; in Camus, the world is rational but Man is absurd. Not my field

Comment

Working...
            X