X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

The English Civil War - Recommended Reading

I'm looking for a book about the English Civil War that's readable, examines the causes, deals with the battles and aftermath but isn't turgid.

As one who knows little about this period but eager to know more I'd welcome any recommendations from fellow boarders.

Has anyone read this one:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...f_rd_i=468294?
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

Probably not the most accurate source, but ch. 35 of '1066 and All That' is certainly not turgid!

"Charles 1 was a Cavalier King and therefore had a small pointed beard, long flowing curls, a large, flat flowing hat and gay attire. The Roundheads on the other hand were clean-shaven and wore tall, conical hats, white ties and sombre garments. Under these circumstances a Civil War was inevitable."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
      Probably not the most accurate source, but ch. 35 of '1066 and All That' is certainly not turgid!

"Charles 1 was a Cavalier King and therefore had a small pointed beard, long flowing curls, a large, flat flowing hat and gay attire. The Roundheads on the other hand were clean-shaven and wore tall, conical hats, white ties and sombre garments. Under these circumstances a Civil War was inevitable."
      As we understood it at boarding school, there was more to the differences between Cavailers and Roundheads than that...

Is the English Civil War about to recommence, then?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I've always found Christopher Hill readable, reliable and informative. His The Century of Revolution isn't expensive, and the Amazon "Read Me" facility gives you a chance to see if Hill's writing style is what you're looking for, Pet:

(When you've done your check, you can then spend a penny on this - the edition I have:

... and then, there's all the other stuff that Hill has written on the subject.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

A very interesting read, this period in history, where the the Parliamentarians captured my ancestor Charles I! It's always makes me think when I see this, how different things might have been perhaps if the royalists had won? Would history have changed that much?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

I'd agree about Hill, and there's also Conrad Russell's Ford Lectures on the origins of the civil war. Though I studied this period many moons ago I haven't kept up with recent historiography. I remember that a lot of the original sources for the period were very interesting to read: the transcript of the Putney Debates, selections from Thomas Burton's diary, the papers of William Clarke, Cromwell's speeches. These take the reader into the atmosphere of the time in a way that sometimes external narratives cannot, so are worth reading alongside the narratives.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I hope that author Phillipa Gregory hasn't gone on this territory!
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

It's a Horrible History (sorry!)

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

I think Blair Worden is the current man on the Civil War. He's written some big fat books on the subject, but also a relatively short general work, available as a paperback for peanuts on amazon. Just type in "Blair Worden".

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Perhaps not the first book to read but try and get hold of a copy of the The Good Old Cause, The English Revolution 1640-1660 by Christopher Hill and Edmund Dell. It makes a fascinating read drawn as it is from contemporary biographies, memoirs, narratives and pamphlets.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      I think Blair Worden is the current man on the Civil War. He's written some big fat books on the subject, but also a relatively short general work, available as a paperback for peanuts on amazon. Just type in "Blair Worden".
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        A very interesting read, this period in history, where the the Parliamentarians captured my ancestor Charles I! It's always makes me think when I see this, how different things might have been perhaps if the royalists had won? Would history have changed that much?
                        interesting question.

Although we still have a monarchy, the aristocracy still own the land, we have an established church, MPs in many areas that we can't get rid of, and it was probably quicker to get round large parts of the country back then.

On, and On topic, the civil war is not , in general , a successful subject area for publishing.

Amazing .
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Historian
                          • Aug 2012

I'm not sure I would start with Christopher Hill, stimulating though he is. While I can't guarantee you won't find Blair Worden's slim volume (mentioned above) turgid (as that's a matter of personal taste) it will be a well-researched, concise treatment. Then, if sufficiently stimulated, head off into the controversies associated with this period.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                            I'm not sure I would start with Christopher Hill, stimulating though he is. While I can't guarantee you won't find Blair Worden's slim volume (mentioned above) turgid (as that's a matter of personal taste) it will be a well-researched, concise treatment. Then, if sufficiently stimulated, head off into the controversies associated with this period.
                            It wouldn't have happened if The Plantagenets were still going!!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              It wouldn't have happened if The Plantagenets were still going!!
                              Or if Denis Diderot had had his way, Bbm ...

“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-10-13, 17:14. Reason: emphasis

Comment

Working...
                              X