• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Do3 - Shaw - Widowers' Houses, 6 October

Is this to be a Shaw/Jarvis season? Repeat (July 2011) of what, as I remember, was an interesting play (which I didn't know). Again, the new start time of 10pm, finishing at 11.45.

"Martin Jarvis directs Ian McKellen, Charles Dance, Tim Pigott-Smith and a starry cast in Bernard Shaw's first play. Written in 1892 it became an immediate success and remains astonishingly relevant in the present property investment world. Funny, observant, incisive in examining moral dilemmas and business ethics. What happens if an Englishman, decent enough in private, shuts his eyes and conscience to the monstrous abuses of the poor by slum landlords, especially if the remedy might affect his own financial security? The theme has resonated down the years."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Is this to be a Shaw/Jarvis season? Repeat (July 2011) of what, as I remember, was an interesting play (which I didn't know). Again, the new start time of 10pm, finishing at 11.45.

"Martin Jarvis directs Ian McKellen, Charles Dance, Tim Pigott-Smith and a starry cast in Bernard Shaw's first play. Written in 1892 it became an immediate success and remains astonishingly relevant in the present property investment world. Funny, observant, incisive in examining moral dilemmas and business ethics. What happens if an Englishman, decent enough in private, shuts his eyes and conscience to the monstrous abuses of the poor by slum landlords, especially if the remedy might affect his own financial security? The theme has resonated down the years."
    I think this is being broadcast at an unrealistically late time.

One for the iPlayer

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I think this is being broadcast at an unrealistically late time.

One for the iPlayer
      This is the new drama slot. Tomorrow's ends at midnight.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Russ

I thought it was a bit boring to be honest.

Russ

Comment

Working...
        X