• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Do3 - Shaw - You Never Can Tell, 29 Sept

Bernard Shaw's 1897 comedy, You Never Can Tell.

A new production, two hours long, in the new "established" drama slot of 10pm. Last of the 'attitudes to women' trilogy. Since it will finish at midnight I'm unlikely to be listening. May or may not get around to listening on the iPlayer - depends what else I can find to do (haven't yet managed to hear the Strindberg).

Martin Jarvis directs George Bernard Shaw's breezy seaside comedy.

With the end of The Wire, it's beginning to look like the Death of Drama on Radio 3.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

it's beginning to look like the Death of Drama on Radio 3
    ...after a long illness during which the patient had been getting progressively weaker. There won't be many mourners at the funeral.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Bernard Shaw's 1897 comedy, You Never Can Tell.

A new production, two hours long, in the new "established" drama slot of 10pm. Last of the 'attitudes to women' trilogy.
      I saw an all-star production of this in London in the mid-60s - Ralph Richardson (a hilarious turn as the butler), Moray Watson, Keith Baxter and Celia Bannerman, one of my favourite voices and a gifted actress. I shall try to listen to this though it will have to be on iPlayer! I think this was less preachy and didactic than some of Shaw - I did Major Barbara for A level

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        ...after a long illness during which the patient had been getting progressively weaker. There won't be many mourners at the funeral.
        I suppose it's respectful to see it to its end. They'll probably say they're 'relocating it' as "Drama on 4" - except that that will be the just same Radio 4 'drama' as now (which includes A Book At Bedtime and The Archers - hence the quotes round 'drama').

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
        X