• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Archive on 4: Very British Dystopias

Tonight at 8.00 pm on Radio 4:

"Professor Steven Fielding examines the bleak and now-iconic visions of the future lurking beneath the calm surface of British politics, as put forward by some of the nation's most celebrated writers, from George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949) to Alan Moore's 1980s graphic novel V for Vendetta. he highlights how TV series such as Doctor Who, The Prisoner, Edge of Darkness and A Very British Coup have depicted British democracy under attack from authoritarian governments, aliens, American-backed insurgents and extreme nationalists, among other threats. Contributors include authors Douglas Hurd, Chris Mullin, Frederick Forsyth and David Hare. Part of the Dangerous Visions season. Producer Jane Ashley".

Somewhat timely, I think.
  • amateur51

Many thanks for this alert, S_A - timely is indeed the word

Comment

• amateur51

I listened to it and found it rather bitty and disappointing, sadly. When did David Aaronvitch become an expert on ... anything?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        I listened to it and found it rather bitty and disappointing, sadly. When did David Aaronvitch become an expert on ... anything?
        I agree Ams - an expert on flannels, maybe.

(There's only one thing worse than an ex-smoker, and that's an ex-Communist )

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

he does seem rather adept at getting hisself on the meeeja

we are the dampest of squibs, these fantastic tales are our fantasies of potency in the face of a bleak reality [unless it was the poor animals on their way to the EU to be slaughtered in perfectly horrid lorries]

and a deep personal relief to know that there is at least one worse than me ....

[19 months no smokeeeee!]
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I agree Ams - an expert on flannels, maybe.

(There's only one thing worse than an ex-smoker, and that's an ex-Communist )

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              he does seem rather adept at getting hisself on the meeeja

we are the dampest of squibs, these fantastic tales are our fantasies of potency in the face of a bleak reality [unless it was the poor animals on their way to the EU to be slaughtered in perfectly horrid lorries]

and a deep personal relief to know that there is at least one worse than me ....

[19 months no smokeeeee!]
              Nineteen mumfs is very good, Calum - bravo!

Comment

Working...
              X