• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Do3 Richard III - 14 April

Tomorrow atm .... but soon TODAY .

Some strong casting (James, Jefford, Maloney &c.), but it's Richard who holds it all together

This is the repeat from 2004. I remember finding it rather disappointing but the old Beeb MBs don't go back that far to remind me why.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • amateur51

Is this the Beeb's first post-car park Richard III?

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Some strong casting (James, Jefford, Maloney &c.), but it's Richard who holds it all together
      I think the casting of Buckingham is just as important. Ralph Richardson was wonderful in the Olivier film of RIII. No wonder Olivier - sorry, Richard - had him executed

I don't remember the original broadcast either so may try and give this a listen, perhaps on LA. I wish they would repeat the old production of Richard II with John Hurt in the title role - from around 2000 I think.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Is this the Beeb's first post-car park Richard III?
        I expect so. Might have been worth making a slot available a bit sooner. I don't know if contracts demand particular timings that would make it difficult to drop some plays at short notice, other than in very exceptional circs ... I don't know. [bump ]

Oh, the phone went when I was half way through - didn't see aeolium's reply.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          I think the casting of Buckingham is just as important. Ralph Richardson was wonderful in the Olivier film of RIII. No wonder Olivier - sorry, Richard - had him executed
          Yes! There was that wonderful scene where the shifty Buckingham is claiming his reward from Richard who snarls at him [with a reference to the "jack" of a clock]:

R: [...] like a Jack, thou keep'st the stroke
          Betwixt thy begging and my meditation.
          I am not in the giving vein to-day.
          B: Why, then resolve me whether you will or no.
          R: Tut, tut,
          Thou troublest me; am not in the vein.

And off the resentful Buckingham goes to join the Earl of Richmond, fearing, if he stays, to lose his head ... I can still see that scene now

Comment

Working...
          X