A Good Read: featuring blatant political bias.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Sep 2024

A Good Read: featuring blatant political bias.

I listened to this programme while driving home last Friday:

Harriett Gilbert is joined by Meg Rosoff and Sara Pascoe to discuss the books they love.

....and was pleasantly surprised by the 'comedienne's choice.

Sadly, though - and somewhat predictably - the book was then attacked by Harriet Whateverhernameis, because of its 'loopy' (her word) politics. You'd never hear a BBC presenter describing the politics of Lenin, Trostky et al as 'loopy', would you? The other contributor - an American previously unknown to me - likewise gritted her teeth.
    Some rubbish was then talked about how 'teenage girls' were able to ignore the politics and concentrate on the 'romance'.

I seriously doubt if anyone who has ever read The Fountainhead has managed to ignore the politics - they are very much bound up with the romance.

However, it was encouraging to hear the comedienne say that the book had stirred her interest in 'right wing politics'. Ayn Rand continues to make her mark, despite sneering from the usual quarters.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    You'd never hear a BBC presenter describing the politics of Lenin, Trostky et al as 'loopy', would you?
    Yes
    But I guess you listen to a different BBC to the rest of the universe

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
      I listened to this programme while driving home last Friday:

Harriett Gilbert is joined by Meg Rosoff and Sara Pascoe to discuss the books they love.

....and was pleasantly surprised by the 'comedienne's choice.

Sadly, though - and somewhat predictably - the book was then attacked by Harriet Whateverhernameis, because of its 'loopy' (her word) politics. You'd never hear a BBC presenter describing the politics of Lenin, Trostky et al as 'loopy', would you? The other contributor - an American previously unknown to me - likewise gritted her teeth.
      Some rubbish was then talked about how 'teenage girls' were able to ignore the politics and concentrate on the 'romance'.

I seriously doubt if anyone who has ever read The Fountainhead has managed to ignore the politics - they are very much bound up with the romance.

However, it was encouraging to hear the comedienne say that the book had stirred her interest in 'right wing politics'. Ayn Rand continues to make her mark, despite sneering from the usual quarters.
      Well a comedian looks for material everywhere, I guess

Only Mandy would refer to Sara Pascoe as 'the comedienne'

Comment

• Mandryka

I'd never heard of any of the contributors. The other books sounded dull as rain.

Fact: I've never known anyone admit to abandoning an Ayn Rand novel before finishing it - even if they later claimed to despise the way it was written and the views expressed in it.

Comment

Working...
        X