• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Paris 1913: R3 Essay 7-11.1.13

I would commend this series to anyone with an interest in early 20th Century French (and wider) culture - some elegant essays about a range of seminal events from 1913... e.g. what's the truth behind that much-vaunted 'riot' at the Sacre du Printemps première, and a look at aspects of À la Recherche du Temps Perdu, the work of Apollinaire, and Le Grand Meaulnes

A certain Forumite will be interested perhaps by the Proust one, as it focuses on the importance of a certain Monsieur Vinteuil...

And Anna, we have spoken about Le Grand Meaulnes I think - did you hear it? It was the Thursday essay.

This is the homepage:

Series exploring why 1913 was an annus mirabilis for French and European culture

... but of course the 'Vinteuil' episode will drop off tomorrow evening, &c...

so I would suggest downloading the podcast versions for listening at a later date:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/essay
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Many many thanks for flagging this up, Caliban - I missed this series, and have just now caught up with the Proust essay.

First class.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      Many many thanks for flagging this up, Caliban - I missed this series, and have just now caught up with the Proust essay.

First class.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

This is the homepage:

Series exploring why 1913 was an annus mirabilis for French and European culture

... but of course the 'Vinteuil' episode will drop off tomorrow evening, &c...

so I would suggest downloading the podcast versions for listening at a later date:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/essay
        According to the webpage these Essays will be around for listening to for a year so no urgency or panicking required

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          According to the webpage these Essays will be around for listening to for a year so no urgency or panicking required
          Well-spotted! Good to see that the tyrannical 'week only' doesn't apply.

Comment

Working...
          X